Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Find Gerbil Cages

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Jamesy14, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Jamesy14

Jamesy14 PetForums Member

Hi Guys :)

WEll i am thinking of getting 2 or 3 gerbils this summer, and have struck a problem at the first hurdle, i cant find any gerbil enclosures, i have looked at P@H and they have they "gerbilarium" but people have said that these would have trouble housing 2 gerbils, so i was wondering if anyone had any sites with gerbil cages, yes i know aquariums are good but i was wondering if there were any specifyed for gerbils, i also dislike Ebay for aqauriums as i have recieved 2 craked ones when i had fish. sorry to be so fusssy :(

Thanks in advance ! :)

2. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

im not sure if people new but there is now a larger version of the gerbilarium out. it is pretty expensive but we have it in our pet shop. believe it is around the £90 mark

3. Jamesy14

thats good i would spend up to £100 because i have around £200 to spend, do you know how much gerbils are? and also what is your pet shop and where is it?

Thankss :)

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

5. Jamesy14

6. ....zoe....

7. Jamesy14

8. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

You would need to cover the shelves as they are barred but I have done this in the past with lino for the mice.

9. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Right, first off gerbilariums from P@H are a no-no. The wire shelves can damamge their feet and they can occasionally break their legs if they get their feet stuck.

I would happily reccommend a large first tank about half full of diggin material with a couple of terracotta pots, empty toilet/kitchen roll tubes and some other toys. That's pretty much all you'll need.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

10. ....zoe....

you sound quite worked up in that post (akai-chan)

i have the smaller one of this for my syrian and she has been fine in it (no injuires/broken bones), although i do plan to get her a different cage soon as i think she needs more space when she has babies

11. ....zoe....

by the way jamey, my pet shop is called killay pet shop and is in killay (swansea)

12. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I don't intend to sound worked up, It just really annoys me when they sell unsuitable cages that can potentially harm your pet. I know quite a few people that have had animals hurt themselves on wire shelves. Why go with a cage that might harm your pet when there are usually much simpler, safer and cheaper solutions out there? You can probably pick up a decent sized fish tank for £20-£30 or less, plus the cost of a bit of wood and some wire mesh to make a lid.

I klnow which one I'd go for :p

Peace
    Akai-Chan

13. ....zoe....

its true.
    i want to change daiseys cage as the more i look at it the more smaller for her it looks.

i plan to look in all the junk in the garage soon and see if i can find a suitable fish tank for her (think theres about 3 there that have cracks in but they may be 2 big for my room)

14. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Same here. I bought 2 perfectos on ebay for a total of £10! And a gerbilarium is at least £40-£50. I hate those things.

15. ....zoe....

did you have to pick them up ???

16. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

One was delivered and i had to collect one :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice