Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Drooping eyelid after mild IV anesthesia

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by TheresaS, Jul 24, 2020.

1. TheresaS

TheresaS PetForums Newbie

Hello- Hoping someone can add more insight to a sudden-onset drooping left eye/ squinting eye in my 3 yr old kitty that was at the vet yesterday for some bloodwork and an ultrasound. My direct question is- does anyone know of any side-effects of this eye issue happening from local anesthesia or any of the procedures noted below?
    (photo attached)
    Background: We took our kitty- Jubilee to our vet yesterday for some comprehensive blood work and an ultrasound on her abdomen because she has been having fairly frequent constipation for past few months...(she has been going poo aprox every 2-4 days and volume has been quite large..so not backed up..just slow going (despite me trying to increase water intake, increase wet food and started experimenting with adding some Royal Canin Fibre dry, miralax..but after a couple of weeks of not getting on track, they wanted to evaluate her and make sure there wasn't any indication of IBD, megacolon and other systemic issues that could be the cause..rather than keep changing diet without a full diagnostic picture).

Took her in mid-morning yesterday, and they put her under local IV anesthetic (drug combo noted below) for these procedures and monitored her carefully. They are a feline-only practice- and she had been under same anesthetic once before for urine and blood work for cystitis last year..and we had no issues then. Again, brought her in mid-morning yesterday (we had her fast night before), they did procedures (blood work, ultrasound and needle biopsy of colon)...and they said she came out of it great, ate a little when she woke up and preliminary findings looked all normal (ultrasound, blood work etc). We picked her up around 6pm and brought her home and she was a bit out of it, she ate a bunch of food..and seemed lethargic throughout the night and then this morning...but I was told this is to be expected. In past 20 hrs since she has been home, she has made a few trips to the litter box, but hasn't had a wee since yesterday morning (it is now 4pm) and had a poo since late Monday (but this is an ongoing issue...again delayed weeing and pooing can be normal with sedation).
    Then around noon today, she woke up from a snooze and was having a wander around and we gave her a few pets...and suddenly I notice her left eye squinting...and blinking closed. Nothing happened this morning that would indicate she has something in it (she hadn't been active and was fine for the 20 mins we were observing her and petting her around noon) and she hasn't pawed at it at all. Since noon, she has just still been very lethargic..ate some more (no litterbox visits yet, sigh)...and still has the eye issue. She still has eye movement, follows- activity with both eyes, both pupils are dilating..just the left is squinty/droopy. It doesn't look like an "eye issue" to me but almost neurological??...since it is the function around the eye and not the eye itself. It just seemed to happen literally 24 hrs after she went under and it was completely sudden-onset around noon today as we kept very close watch of her last night and this morning..and would have seen it sooner if it started sooner.
    Again, does anyone have any insight or experience in this happening after anesthesia, bloodwork, colon needle biopsy or ultrasound?
    I have already called the vet, sent photos and they wanted me to monitor her this afternoon and calling me again soon...but looking for further insight if anyone can offer it.
    Thank you in advance for any help.

Below is the detail of what they administered and procedure:

Sedation including IV access with combination below, oxygen and monitoring:
    1.0 Alfaxan 10mg/ml (anaesthetic agent)

1.0 Methadone (pain-relief)/sedative agent)

1.0 Hypnovel 5mg/ml (sedative agent)

1.0 Butorphanol (Torphadine) Inj 10mg/ml 10ml

1.0 Medetomidine 1mg/ml 10ml

1.0 Atipamezole 5mg/ml 5ml

Abdominal ultrasound including fine needle tissue sampling

Attached Files:

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

If you have not already done so I would phone your vet ASAP ,I personally cant answer any of your questions but the fact that she hasn't wee'd for over 24 hours but has been in and out of her litter box is ringing alarm bells not to mention her droopy eye which also would worry me.

chillminx and TheresaS like this.
  3. TheresaS

TheresaS PetForums Newbie

@buffie thank you for replying. Yes, I have called the vet a few times today, spoke to a nurse, sent them photos and video and now waiting for the main vet to call me back anytime now...they are super thorough and would have probably asked for her to come in earlier today, if they were super concerned....and I know delayed weeing can be a side-effect of the anesthesia...but I am most definitely worried. I now feel terrible for putting her through all this. :'( Thank you again for replying. x

buffie likes this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Don't feel bad about having tests done , sometimes we have to do things we would rather not do .
    Hopefully she will be back to normal soon and you get a diagnosis that is simple to fix .

TheresaS likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice