Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help........Don't know what to do!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by somethingsweet, Jan 18, 2012.

1. somethingsweet

somethingsweet PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I posted a week ago in the behaviour section as my 10 mth old Lurcher cross was scavenging a lot on walks and in the garden and consequently has the runs, 80% of the time. I was given many opinions, including changing his diet and maybe a muzzle but didn't want to try too many things at once as i still didn't know the cause of the loose poos!

I got a muzzle which he has been wearing on walks and when he goes in the garden. He hasn't been able to scavenge for a week now but still has very loose poo. Should i change his diet?? I'm a first time dog owner and i'm not sure what is best. We used to feed him Wainwrights dry puppy food, but he had the rund with that, so we changed him to Purina BETA dry food at 7 mths and put him on the adult food. Any advice..........??:confused:

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you had a stool sample checked? It may not be dietry related at all.

If he has a clean bill of health, i would try a grain free diet. He may well have issues with the common fillers used in dog food.

3. somethingsweet

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've not had a stool sample check, i didn't know you could do that! I was thinking of trying a grain free diet, i'd heard that some dogs can be intolerant to grains. He is a very healthy dog and has not seemed at all unwell while he's had the runs.

4. henry

henry PetForums VIP

BETA has quite a lot of cereals in it.....and minimal meat content. Perhaps try something like Fish4dogs or JWB do a cereal free food available from PAH. Otherwise a high-quality wet food diet like Naturediet or WW trays may be helpful. Good luck!

5. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

It's frustrating and worrying, isn't it?

Our pup (now 8 months) was very similar and kept having quite loose stools on and off - vet checked him but couldn't find anything wrong, so we tried out various different hypo-allergenic diets (fish and potato, chicken and rice, both dry kibble and wet foods) but none of them sorted it. We did also wonder whether it was due to him eating unpleasant things on walks, like fox poo, but this didn't seem to be the cause.

About two months ago we changed to a raw diet and this has finally sorted the problem. You could try that? If you don't want to feed a raw diet I'm sure you will find a food which suits him, but it is a painstaking process as you can't change frequently. The only food that seemed to suit Sherlock was Chappie, but this isn't a great food so we didn't want it to be his main source of nutrition.

There are lots of different grain free and hypoallergenic foods to try - Arden Grange do a few, and then there are wet foods like naturediet. But from our experience, raw was the only thing that worked for Sherlock. Just make sure you don't change food too frequently. Leave a month or more for him to get used to a new food.

6. suesdogs15

suesdogs15 PetForums Member

I have a lurcher that had the runs like yours and I changed onto a wheat/ grain free diet and had a 50% improvement. I had to train him to poo on the road as it was too embarrassing to try to clean it off the pavement, I didn't fell too bad it being on the road :eek:. I still wanted better so for the past few months he has been on raw and it is all sorted...... should have done it ages ago, no more embarrassing walks. :D

7. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

The way to find out what your dog is sensitive to is the Elimination diet, in which you are able to pinpoint which foods are problematic.
    (be advised that some commercial companies are using the term `elimination diet` for processed foods containing limited ingredients which is not helpful)

Put the dog on one protein ONLY. So raw chicken wings, raw portions, boiled breasts etc. OR lamb, beef, fish. Don`t mix and don`t add. No treats. No kibble.
    If the dog gets worse, switch to another protein source and observe again for a few days. If the dog improves you know chicken is OK.
    When you have a protein that is tolerated, add a filler (if wished - I don`t use any fillers) such as cooked pasta, rice, or potato.
    Repeat the observation.
    When you have a diet the dog can tolerate, you can look for a commercial food that has those - but be warned that even tiny amount of additives can trigger a reaction. One of mine was allergic to food colouring for example.
    This is why I feed raw - no sugar beet, flavourings, colourings or undigestable filler. :)

8. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Could just be grains and wheat in his diet and since he scavenged a dead bunny I think he's trying to tell you something. Raw diet please mummy, lol!

Marty had terrible probs as a pup and had the runs for three months, cost a fortune at the vets, stool testing, bloods AB's nothing showed up so we changed him to raw, less than two days later he had his first solid poo! I'll say no more as the choice is yours but I now feed all the dogs raw, Flynn from three weeks old and all the others as soon as they came here, very very rarely a runny poo as i'm sure other raw feeders will agree! ;)

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems. Hopefully some of the suggestions here will help you get to the root of it.

My thoughts are that kibble is hard to digest. If he has a sensitive tum, it could be aggrevating the situation. As all the foods you list are kibble, it may be worth trying a good quality wet.

Chappie "original" is excellent for upset tums but not the best quality. Wainwrights wet trays are better quality and the only wet I could find with comparable fibre to Chappie (infact a bit more) it also contains chicory which is good for the gut. It was a godsend for my little one.

I'd be tempted to try him with WW trays and if it works, keep him on them for a while.:D

10. somethingsweet

Thanks for everyone's replies, without making myself look stupid, could someone please explain what a raw diet is? and do they get enough nutrients etc from this kind of diet?

11. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

To put it in a nutshell you feed 80%meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organ such as kidney. Idea is dogs are carnivores so should be able to get the nutrition required from eating carnivorous food. Some people believe dogs need vegetables to fulfill the nutrient requirements so add vegetables. That's a 10 second intro. If you want to look at this feeding method you really need to do quite a bit of research first.
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/111437-raw-feeding-everything-you-need-know.html may be a good starting point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice