UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend dog was in season and she took it to a breeder and the female would not let him any where near her, so my friend new she was not ready even tho her tail would go to the side when you stroked her back, The breeder held the female dog while the male mated her and they both tied, she has never been bred before and yelled like mad. My question is why did the breeder hold the female ??? and if she was not ready to breed could she still be pregnant? no silly replys pls as this is a place to ask questions.:confused:

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
alot of breeders will hold a bitch when a dog does his stuff incase the bitch tries to get away or attack the stud resulting in alot of injuries, maiden bitches can be very vocal. I

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Afraid I always ask the owner to hold the bitch when I do any stud work for the safety of both the bitch and the dog. Some maiden bitches do scream and shout, some are very vocal all the way through and are very vocal on subsequent matings as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was only one mating and when she took her back for the second mating a few days later the male would only lick her a would not mount her, is one mating enough to be pregnant

·
Banned
3,379 Posts
Sounds like the stud owner did the norm. If the bitch owner wasnt happy....she should of said at the time...bit late now....

If bitch wasnt ready then a tie would not have resulted....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ tashi is there a reason the male would not go near her a few days later?? does he know something? the breeder told me there stud will not mount a female if he knows she is pregnant???? is this true????

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
She could be pregnant from only one tie or indeed if an actual tie didn't happen, called a slip mating. The likely reason, he wouldn't mate again is that the bitch was no longer at her fertile time

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh ok as all he kept doing was licking her i was told. so the breeder was telling porkies he did not mate her because she had likely come out of heat, rather than him thinking she was pregnant???????????

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
No, it's not true a stud wouldn't mate a bitch if she'd been successfully inseminated, but a regularly used stud dog will know if a bitch is ready/receptive, the two don't always go hand in hand, ie a bitch isn't always receptive at the optimum time to produce pups. My bitch had 8 pups although we didn't achieve a tie, I would honestly suggest if your friends dog isn't KC registered to tell her to look at having the mismate jab for her bitch, the drug is called Alizin, and needs to be adminstered twice to be effective, I think 48 hours apart.

The market is flooded with pups, if your friend has done no health tests, and the pups are not KC registered, they will just add to the overwhelming problem of the number of pups placed in homes that then disappear into the ether and somehow end up in rescue. That might not be their intention, but it's difficult to prevent when people aren't as clued up as they perhaps *should* be about dog breeding.

I don't mean any of that to sound negative or personal, it is just my honest opinion/advice, things can and do go wrong with bitches during pregnancy and unless you've done an awul lot of research and have a good reason to breed, I would say don't go there :eek:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
it only takes one mating... I guess the bitch was no longer receptive for the second attempt, bitches vary in how long they remain receptive for. Dogs are unlikely to know if the bitch is pregnant, but if she is she wont be receptive as pregnancy isn't like humans and doesn't take place at the time of mating but some time after...

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
@ tashi is there a reason the male would not go near her a few days later?? does he know something? the breeder told me there stud will not mount a female if he knows she is pregnant???? is this true????
With some dogs yes it is, you don't even need to have a tie for her to be in whelp, I once did some studwork for a friend we only had a slip mating, dog wouldn't look at her when she came back. She had a litter of 13

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all your honest answers, my friend spoke to the breeder and she said her stud had sired many litters and never missed so lays money on that the dog is pregnant HOWEVER the vets are saying she would not be pregnant after one mating and she want need to do anything (this is the out of hours vets) so i told my friend to phone her local vet in morning and get the dog fixed.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
What breed is the dog in question? Just asking so that people can give you an idea of the possible health implications and/or whelping difficulties?

Some breeds are labelled 'easy whelpers', mine is, and yet my bitch needed an out of hours emergency c-section after the first pup presented blocked the way, cost for that alone was £1,500. I ended up £3k in the red after one litter, but knew the risks going in, and had the funds in place to ensure I could pay for anything I needed to.

Edited to add, I would still suggest your friend goes down the mismate route, but if any info is needed regarding the breed, please do add details.

·
Registered
236 Posts
She won't be pregnant within a day or two of mating, as the sperm takes a while to reach the eggs....the embryos don't implant until around 3 weeks, it's more likely that's she was going over and no longer giving out the scent to the stud dog. You've had a mating now, and one mating is all it takes on the right day. You now have to wait patiently for around 4 weeks before finding out.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
This is why so many teenagers get pregnant isn't it?

Honestly I can vouch for the basics being taught to year 7 and 8s in secondary schools across the land (not dog breeding but still the basic mechanics of Getting Pregnant - i.e. YES it can happen with just one mating no matter what the little ****** tells you girls :rolleyes: ). It is clearly taught but not learned by some!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.