Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help diagnosing puppy illness

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jad El-Hajj, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Jad El-Hajj

Jad El-Hajj PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,

I'm very new to this forum but I need urgent help. I have a ~2 month old German Shepherd mix puppy. She was fine until yesterday, when she vomited her breakfast undigested. She refused to eat or drink for the rest of the day.

Today, I saw some runny pink stool with mucus and drops of blood in her potty area. I took her to the vet and he gave me some medication (Metrolag) and half a pill of dewormer to give her when her stools become better. She was very hungry today and ate yogurt. Some of her energy came back. She did not poop the whole day, but now her stool was very odd (picture attached -- it is gross). She looks like she has tummy ache and her belly is bloated. If anyone is familiar with such a situation, please help. There are no ERs where I live, and the vet thinks she has a case of dysentery and gave me dewormer just in case, but another opinion wouldn't hurt and I am worried after seeing her stool.

Attached Files:

#1 Jad El-Hajj, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. Chewydog

Chewydog PetForums Newbie

The symptoms you are describing (bloated belly especially) indicate that you need to IMMEDIATELY take her to a vet. Run, don't walk...

So sorry to hear what you are going through

Keep us posted!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If she is still not drinking, or even drinking little, -plus had frequent vomiting and diarrhoea, then she will be at risk of dehydration f she isn't dehydrated already, dehydration especially in a young pup is serious and if left can become fatal, that alone will cause them to become very lethargic and unwell. Does the stool smell really bad and foul?
    With severe vomiting and diarrhoea in in a young puppy who has not had all her shots I would again be extremely worried. I would also be concerned if her tummy is really hard and distended too.
    Can you check her gums, if they are dry and very sticky then that's often an indication of dehydration, if you gently pull up the skin on her back and then let it go, the skin should spring back immediately, if there is a delay and particularly if the skin stays up "tent like" before slowly returning to normal then its usually a sign she is really badly dehydrated. They eyes may look sunken in too that can be another sign. If the gums are also pale or especially whiteish then again that's a big concern. The gums should be a nice pink healthy colour and shiny and moist looking.

Your puppy really does need to be rechecked, I know you said there are no ERs open, but in the UK vets do have to provide an emergency out of hours practice, either themselves or do have to have another practice that would cover. Have you tried to phone your normal practice and see if there is cover provided.

4. Jad El-Hajj

Jad El-Hajj PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much guys for your replies. Apparently the culprit is giardia. She started to eat and drink again and is not dehydrated. The vet recommended feeding her rice with yogurt, and I am adding water to the mixture. There are no signs of dehydration and she is peeing frequently (color transparent not yellow).

Also, her stools are not soft or watery anymore, but they are still bright yellow. I am not sure what is causing the yellow color. I am still concerned over this.

She seems better overall, energetic, but what still worries me is her pot bellied appearance. The vet said that it is due to gas. I think when she's not bloated anymore she'll feel much better. I tried to rub her tummy for like 5 minutes and she pooped right afterwards so I'll do that again.

Again, thank you for caring and I will post an update when there's anything new...

Chewydog likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice