UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have 2 goldfish that I bought together but one of them has developed this on its side (please see pics) can anyone please help me or advise what this could be, it looks like a bruise but has lost all scales on it, the other goldfish now seems to be bullying it.
Thank you for any advise
X

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,146 Posts
Hi,
I have 2 goldfish that I bought together but one of them has developed this on its side (please see pics) can anyone please help me or advise what this could be, it looks like a bruise but has lost all scales on it, the other goldfish now seems to be bullying it.
Thank you for any advise
X
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sorry it’s under the circumstances.

That’s not just a dark spot - that’s a gaping wound! When did you notice it?

Could you post a pic of the tank?
How long have you had the fish?
How big is the tank?
Do you have any readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH - in mg/l or ppm? (Please don’t say “it’s fine” - one person’s “fine” is another’s 😱 Also, the type of tests you’re using.
When was the last time you did a water change, how much did you change, and did you use dechloronator?

Sorry for all the questions, but the answers may help us to help you. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sorry it’s under the circumstances.

That’s not just a dark spot - that’s a gaping wound! When did you notice it?

Could you post a pic of the tank?
How big is the tank?
Do you have any readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH - in mg/l or ppm? (Please don’t say “it’s fine” - one person’s “fine” is another’s 😱 Also, the type of tests you’re using.
When was the last time you did a water change, how much did you change, and did you use dechloronator?

Sorry for all the questions, but the answers may help us to help you. :)
Hi,
Thank you for your reply, I will send a picture of the tank asap, I have got dip sticks to measure the ammonia, ph, nitrate etc and this comes up with ‘ideal’ do you think these arnt good enough to be testing the water? Sorry if I sound silly I’m new to this and just trying to learn the best ways to take care of them, I changed 50% 5days ago and used tap water safe solution, I noticed about a week ago and thought it could be a bruise as wasn’t bad just a dark spot and thought this may have been because when the fish are being fed the other goldfish is aggressive then settles down after, but it has gotten worse and I’m really worried 😟 any advise would be great, thank you for your help ☺ X

·
Super Moderator
12,146 Posts
Hi,
Thank you for your reply, I will send a picture of the tank asap, I have got dip sticks to measure the ammonia, ph, nitrate etc and this comes up with ‘ideal’ do you think these arnt good enough to be testing the water? Sorry if I sound silly I’m new to this and just trying to learn the best ways to take care of them, I changed 50% 5days ago and used tap water safe solution, I noticed about a week ago and thought it could be a bruise as wasn’t bad just a dark spot and thought this may have been because when the fish are being fed the other goldfish is aggressive then settles down after, but it has gotten worse and I’m really worried 😟 any advise would be great, thank you for your help ☺ X
Hi.

Dip stick tests aren’t the most accurate, but they’re better than nothing. Could you post the actual results though, please?

How long has the tank been set up?
Do you use dechloronator/water “conditioner”? If so, what type?

It sounds like an ammonia burn (despite the name, it’s not a burn - it’s internal bleeding… a “bruise”) but one that must have gone catastrophically wrong, somehow. Or there are other complications. Looks like he’s got ammonia burns on his fins, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts