Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP ! corn snakes eye ?

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by ....zoe...., Aug 13, 2009.

1. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

can someone please help me. i have just been checking over my baby corn snakes and have realised that one of them has a swollen eye :eek: :(

im sure this wasnt there yesterday. it doesnt look sore and i have wipped it over to check that the skin hasnt stuck to the eye during sheading.
    it just seems like a bubble of water.

the snake has been feeding very well and drinking fine so this has really puzzled me. im trying to get hold of a very experienced reptile owner at the moment to see if he has any idea on what it could be and i have placed it in the tank with the none-feeders for the moment

any one have any idea on this ?

2. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

The first thing that came into my head was a retained eye cap from shedding? But if the corn hasnt shedded recently then i guess not... What bedding is the snake on, and how old is it?

3. ....zoe....

i have spoken to the VERY experienced person that i know and they believe that it sounds like a retained eye cap like you say also, i think it shead yesterday or a few days ago.

they told me to feed it up on next feed (sat) with as many mice as it will take and then wait for it to shead and hopefully the retained eye cap (if its there) will come off with the new shead. if not then iam going to take it up to see the bloke and he will check it out for me :)

the corn is around 2 mnths old now , on bark chip bedding

4. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Oh, yer, that sounds like good advise...:D Hopefully it will be fine soon! :D

5. ....zoe....

yeh hopefully, will just have to wait and see now, i think it will be fine, its eating and drinking well so cant see much of a problem to wait until it sheads :)

6. jilly40

jilly40 PetForums VIP

give the corn snake a soak in warm water it should come away.if you are 100% sure its a retained eye cap sticky tape wraped round your finger.if its not removed can cause probs.if your not sure try your local reptile shop,i know mine were always helpful x

7. Beowulf1976

Beowulf1976 PetForums Member

I was going to suggest sticky tape too, though could be a bit painful for the poor snake if it's NOT a retained eye cap.

8. jackson

jackson PetForums VIP

I've never known a retained eye cap to look like a 'bubble of water', tbh. Retained eye caps are usally fairly difficult to spot, and often just look like the eye is normal, barring a grey ring around it.

If it were a retained eye cap, and just one, the best thing to do would be to wait until the next shed, and keep the humidity up to ensure the snake shed properly next time. OR, place the snake in a damp pillow case with lots of damp scrunched up paper so it can get the eye cap of itself. I really wouldn't recomend sellotape, especially to a novice, you could seriously damage the eye.

That said, I don't think it does sound like a retained eye cap, and it is probably best to get the snake to a reptile vet to make sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice