Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Help! - Concerned new owner

Discussion in 'Turtles and Tortoises' started by Harold10, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Harold10

Harold10 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I picked up my 9 month old Horsefield Tortoise on Friday 7th Sept and I have a few concerns over his behaviour. His length of shell is about 2 inches and when I got him home he was only 36g – he has now gone down to 35g. I have been soaking him everyday in warm water for 20 minutes to aid any dehydration anxieties and I offer him a variety of foods (weeds, flowers, watercress, carrot tops, kale, etc.) dusted with Nutrobal everyday and a cuttlefish bone for calcium. The problem is that he just doesn’t want to eat anything and doesn’t seem active. His basking temperature is 33 degrees but he spends the majority of his time sleeping. I’m just posting here to ask for advice and whether I just need to give him time to settle in. He has excreted a few times but his lack of appetite and weight is worrying me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
    Ellie

2. Harold10

Harold10 PetForums Newbie

Attached photos of his enclosure to see if there is something obvious I'm doing wrong.

Attached Files:

3. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi i love Animals too much

Have you asked the breeder/old owner what they were feeding him? Tortoises can be picky with what they eat, especially if their diet is suddenly changed from what they usually get. Try a variety of foods, anything safe that torts can eat safely and preferably something they usually enjoy :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice