Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help choosing dry food for pup with sens. tummy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by snadge, Jan 26, 2012.

1. snadge

snadge PetForums Member

well as most of you will know our 4.5 mnth old yellow lab pup Bella has had problems with bad gas in evenings, weve had her on almost all WainWright flavours and the rice seems to give her really bad gas and noisey bubbly tummy, she looks uncomfortable with it too... we started her on WW Salmon & Potato puppy last night (first serving of it at tea-time) she ate it all, and today she ate it all at breakfast too but at dinnertime she left almost all of it... she had runs this afternoon and was farting a bit then at tea-time she left half of it, i put it back on scales to weigh it too see how much she left and put it back in bowl and she sniffed it and left it, so i put the same weight of Lamb & Rice in the bowl and she scoffed the lot.... so she definitley does not like Salmon .. we tried her on Salmon & Potato Adult food a while ago and she turned her nose at that sometimes too but we hoped the puppy one would work...

anyway, the ONLY WainWrights one that showed any potential is Turkey & Veg (adult 1-7 yrs), she was on it for 5 days and her gas was much better and we had 2 days without any and on days we did she had treats which could have caused it, but its much more expensive (£33 for 10Kg which would last 3 weeks - thats about £45-50 month!!) and is 60% Potato (too much IMO) and for that price we could probably buy a high quality food that would be better.

before WainWrights she was on a low quality 'cereals & derivatives' type food, she had gas on that too but it was just occasional (normal), we had to change her from that cos she would not eat it after xmas when she was spoiled with treats & goodies, she started to leave it and then we found out it was crap stuff so wanted to improve, we went onto wainwrights and had nothing but problems.

so with all this in mind we are desperate to find out some good alternatives to WainWrights, probably tailored to sensitive tummys - preferably dry food too as it lasts longer and she has to chew it, plus any left can be put back in bag, wet food just gets wolfed down and causes gas.

edit: i forgot too say that she has been drinking lots of water aswell today...which you do when you have the runs but her toilets are not more frequent either...just same, thought I would mention that.

thanks

#1 snadge, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

How about Vitalin Maintenance chicken & potato?

It's a well priced (£33 for 15kg) grain free food and is with chicken rather than fish which most of the potato based foods seem to favour, so if your girl doesn't like fish much, then it may suit better. Vitalin Adult Maintenance Diet - Pet Supplies & Pet Accessories | PET SUPERMARKET Online Pet Store

I agree with Dogless' suggestion of a fast eaters bowl, they're very effective. VetUK do a much cheaper version of the F4Ds greedy gulper :) Animal Instincts Anti Skid Slow Feed Pet Bowl - From £3.36

Also, one last thing, do bare in mind that all this chopping and changing of foods could be the cause of the gas and loose stools, rather than the actual food itself - for a 4.5mth old pup, she certainly seems to have been on alot of different foods!

4. henry

henry PetForums VIP

She's only had the salmon today, hasn't she? And the lamb for a very short time? I'd pick one and keep her on it for a while - I think it's too early to say whether it will suit her personally.

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I did link to an expensive bowl; had a cheap plastic one but Kilo could turn it over to tip out the food.....but I do agree you don't need to spend a lot if your dog is less determined! :D.

6. snadge

snadge PetForums Member

well... the assistant at pets at home said once they were on wainwrights it was ok to chop & change flavours because its mostly the same stuff apart from the flavour/meat and that its usually different additives between brands that sets off a dicky tummy when changing brands??

weve seen changes from flavour to flavour, if that were the case we wouldnt have and she would have had no difference among flavours, she would have had bad gas no matter what she was fed, but like i say it subsided with non-rice turkey & veg after people said it could be the rice.

7. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

8. henry

henry PetForums VIP

I'd probably go for the Turkey and Veg then. Unfortunately, cereal-free foods are more expensive than rice/other cereal inclusive foods.

The food that Lyceum has mentioned above looks very good for the price, though.

9. snadge

snadge PetForums Member

thanks, but like i say she doesnt seem to like Salmon, this is twice weve tried her on a WW Salmon flavour and both times she eats very little and leaves loads of it, last time it was adult S&P, this time its puppy S&P...

10. snadge

snadge PetForums Member

i agree, but what confuses me is Salmon & Potato doesnt contain rice and its the same price as rice products, how is it Turkey & Veg costs so much more? it has almost no veg in it and is 60% potato, whereas the S&P is about 16% Potato - maybe its all the potato pushing up prices?

11. henry

henry PetForums VIP

12. snadge

snadge PetForums Member

13. henry

henry PetForums VIP

14. snadge

snadge PetForums Member

thanks SixStar - im looking at it now :)

15. snadge

snadge PetForums Member

Vitalin sounds good with the pre-biotic, BUT pets-at-home dont stock it so would have to find out where we could get it AND we would really need a small bag to begin with incase she wont eat it, think she would like she likes chicken, theres puppy one which is 46% Chicken Meal and has the pro-biotics in too

its good price too compared to WainWrights it seems to be a better product too with more meat and pro-biotic, and some (like one you linked) has Glucosamin, chondroitin and MSM in too

16. snadge

snadge PetForums Member

i forgot too say that she has been drinking lots of water aswell today...which you do when you have the runs but her toilets are not more frequent either...just same, thought I would mention that.

17. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Pet Supermarket do sell 2.5kg bags too, so you could get one of those first to try her on. Buying food online is nearly always cheaper than from Pets At Home too.

Don't get hung up on puppy food - she really doesn't need it at all. Is it the Vitalin Puppy Plus you're looking at with 46% chicken? That has rice, corn (maize) and oats in so is very cereal heavy - which I thought you were trying to avoid? Hence the suggestion of the Vitalin Maintenance.

18. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

You could have a look at this if you are contemplating ordering online Working Dog Food Puppy food | WorkingHPRs.

The salmon and potato puppy has oats and barley but the adult duck and potato is cereal free.

The Fish and Potato adult with allergyX would def be one to remember if all else fails.

Mike is v helpful if you ring/email. :D

19. snadge

snadge PetForums Member

@ mum2heidi - she doent seem to like salmon.. weve tried twice and she leaves it

@SixStar - i didnt realise, i thought it was all good stuff... there is a couple of pet stores and warehouses we are going to have a look tomorrow and see if we can find that Vitalin...I hope we can. also the Vitalin website say they only do 7.5kg or 15kg in the cereal free adult maintenance one? wierd that as they are the manufacturer

that pet supermarket website looks canny mind - free delivery too

#19 snadge, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  20. Bob'smum

Bob'smum PetForums Newbie

I can recommend Burns, it is a dry food and has no additives or colourings, it was developed by a vet, there is no wheat, wheat-glutens, soya or dairy products, i buy the chicken and rice, we have been using this dry food for 4 months now and my dogs are love it. I buy a 7.5kg bag for £25.00, it does come in bigger bags too. You can add water to it if you prefer too, but I give it dry with a big bowl of water available all day. You can buy charcoal dog biscuits for your dog to help with gas. Good luck, it is always trial and error until you find a food that suits your dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice