Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help cat's right eye watery

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by clorefi, Feb 8, 2020.

1. clorefi

clorefi PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My cat's right eye has been watery for about a week, it's not red, she's not sniffing, just small clean drop, like watery but doesn't look infected. I'm concerned because it's been a week. It's better now but it is still a bit watery.
    - Could it be a small allergy to the new kitten ? (recently introduced)
    - I cleaned the carpet yesterday with carpet cleaner and bleach : can it be caused by the leftover of bleach fumes (can it irritate the cat's eye?)?
    - or something else?

Would greatly appreciate some experience and advice !

2. clorefi

clorefi PetForums Newbie

(quick rectification : cleaned the carpet last week not yesterday)

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Eyes are very delicate and easily damaged , sometimes permanently . Your cat needs to see a vet and TBH should have seen one days ago .
    Please make an appointment today to have her eye seen by your vet.

Lurcherlad, lorilu and chillminx like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@clorefi

I agree with buffie, your cat needs to be seen by the vet a.s.ap.

I should imagine when you were cleaning the carpet and floor with bleach you kept the cats out of the room until the floor had dried. So it seems unlikely the fumes from the bleach affected your cat's eye. Unless your cat rubbed her eye on the floor!

I doubt your cat has an allergy to your kitten. It is possible the cat is feeling anxious because of the arrival of the kitten, and this has affected the cat's immune system, making her more prone to infections, e.g. she could have caught something from the kitten.

Or maybe the kitten scratched the cat's eye while playing.

Are you taking plenty of time over the introductions? Or did you put the cat and the kitten together from the start and let them get on with it?

buffie and lorilu like this.
  5. clorefi

clorefi PetForums Newbie

Hi Buffie and Chillminx,

Thanks for your replies. I put a lot of bleach so though she haven't been in direct contact, it does smell strong. Do you still think it's unlikely ?

For the introduction, we carefully introduced them progressively over a few weeks (at first kitten was in separate room- we took our time), and constant watch. They now have access to the full house, the older cat tolerates the kitten, and the kitten loves the older cat. we're very lucky that they dont fight, over the weeks of introduction the older cat came to accept the kitten, she only makes small grunt when the kitten constant needs to play becomes annoying. I dont think it comes from a scratch. You raise an interesting point as we believe that getting used to this new environment must have been difficult for our older cat (the one with the eye issue), so this might have lessen her immune system efficiency. But if it were infected, shouldn't we at least see some redness ? Maybe we are just overly cautious, well I hope we are..

I just added 2 pictures of her, we cant see very well because it's a screenshot from a video, but her right eye has a small tear, and other than that no redness or sign of infection whatsoever.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@clorefi - I am sorry, I am unable to view your photos. It may be because you haven't made enough posts yet to post links. (I think you need a minimum of 25 posts). Though as I recall you can post photos to your gallery from the start.

Is there a reason you need to use such strong bleach with cats in the house? Did you know cats are attracted to the smell of bleach and as a result they may decide to use the bleached floor as a toilet?

It may not be the eye itself is infected. It could be due to respiratory irritation causing a weeping eye. . If the bleach created as many strong fumes as you imply, then possibly your cat's lungs might have been affected from inhaling the fumes. But she should have been OK by now - a week later - and as she is not, then I consider it of some concern, whatever the cause.

#6 chillminx, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    buffie and lorilu like this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I would suggest you get her to the vet without delay and do not clean with bleach any more. Use white vinegar.

buffie and chillminx like this.
  8. clorefi

clorefi PetForums Newbie

chillminx likes this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Thank you, I can see the pictures now. :)

Is it her right eye that is watery? I really would have the vet look at that on Monday. It could be a sign she is not in the best of health at present.

10. clorefi

clorefi PetForums Newbie

yes it's the right eye. It has not been watery today, just normal as if never happened.. dont know what to think
    I see the vet Monday but it's for the kitten who had important diarrhea issue and follow-up after treatment. Can't bring them both but I'll talk to the vet about the watery eye and try to schedule something quickly maybe

chillminx likes this.
  11. clorefi

clorefi PetForums Newbie

Went to the vet, great news it was either nothing or gone ! feeling much relieved ! thanks a lot for your help, eyes are indeed so fragile that a visit to the vet was best way to go.

lorilu and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice