UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Would I have a chance to earn a dogsitting job despite my young age?

• No hope

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • if you were older

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Definitely

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • You can try

Votes: 0 0.0%

Help! Burning Issue: Can Young Teens Aqquire Dogsitting Jobs?

893 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  BlueWolf1576 
#1 ·
Hi guys, :)
As you can see, I've been wondering for quite a while now if it's okay for me to get a small job in taking care or even walking people's dogs.

I know a lot of people look for jobs similarly but I feel that my case is different. First of all, I adore dogs to a completely new level. I feel that money isn't important and my goal isn't to start an overpriced business just to earn a some extra pocket money. I honestly could spend HOURS sincerely looking after your dog without earning a single penny, because it feels more like a privilege than a job. I am pretty young ( almost 15) but I feel up to this job and I know it will be difficult to earn people's trust. The real reason that I'm looking for a job and working hard for this is because I am saving money to get a puppy of my own . For at least 5 years I have been begging my family for a dog. Though I don't have my own dog , I do have experience with other dogs who have shown at least some progress with a few training skills I learned. This isn't a phase for me and I haven't taken this lightheartedly. However, if despite my efforts, I don't earn nearly enough money to support my own dog, it will go to charity.

I really have done immense research on dogs: training methods, suitable breeds for me, nutritional information, expenses, how to stop excessive barking, chewing, aggression, leash pulling, and so on. I feel I have a lot of knowledge which is why I feel I'm up for a job. I definitely feel like I can help in training puppies or young dogs with behaviour issues.

Another pro is that I attend a boarding school so my holidays can last for 2 months on stretch. If people are worried about what will happen if their dogs get injured whilst on a walk and I can't transport them to the vets, I am also happy to dog sit in their house or possibly mine. Or, I can pre plan a safe route where I have close access to all available veterinary services beforehand. If this is also unreliable, I can always be assisted by one of my parents need be.

I know I may have missed a few details but I hope that I can get some advice on whether I can do this or not! I also hope that if I manage to get a dog sitting job, this will prepare me more for my own dog ! :Happy Thank you so much for reading this and I look forward to seeing your opinions about my goal...:)

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I believe that because you are only 15 you wouldn't be able to get the insurance required for dog walking.

You could try contacting some rescues/rehoming organisations to volunteer at, but again your age might work against you as they might not allow you to volunteer due to their insurance. But it would be worth looking into.

#4 ·
There's some dog walkers on here who wouldn't be impressed with you offering to do it for free I imagine.

I agree that volunteering for rescues is a great idea if you just want to get experience of being around dogs.

Also - if you are in boarding school, this wouldn't be regular thing which most people would want?

#5 ·
[QUOTE="MilleD, post: 1065438197, member: 1437473

Also - if you are in boarding school, this wouldn't be regular thing which most people would want?[/QUOTE]

I guess you're right... thanks for mentioning it. But within a year I will be back.if they are looking for a long term dog walker, this wouldn't be the best option.

#7 ·
I have seen if there are any volunteering options in Dogs Trust or SND. I even considered Battersea Home for Cats and Dogs. I think you're right - it's pretty unlikely that they would accept it, but I might consider trying when I come back for good ( maybe there's more of a chance when I'm 16 )

#8 ·
I admire your determination but I think your best bet at this time is to volunteer at a shelter or rescue. If none of your family are interested in having a dog, and you are away at school, there isn't any point in begging your family for a dog right now. At 15 it won't be more than a few years until you can be on your own and then you can do what you want. In the mean time you will be gaining a lot of experience and knowledge working in a shelter. A shelter volunteer position may also lead to a part time paid job in a kennels somewhere.

Go there and talk to the director. Think positive instead of just assuming you wouldn't be wanted. You are not likely to start with training the dogs. You will be put to cleaning, and playing with them, probably, as you gain experience and they get to know you. Everyone has to start at the bottom.

#9 ·
Thank you for the encouragement! And I completely agree about what you said about my own dog. But, I definitely have planned it all out. I'm onLy getting a dog when I come back after 10th (that's when I'm finishing my education there ) and I'm spending some months at home to really begin training at an early stage and bond with him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.