Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!! Bunny paw!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Georgia2394, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Georgia2394

Georgia2394 PetForums Newbie

170C743B-0F40-4A63-B242-6657F1F8C6BD.jpeg 7273E24F-3D96-4A98-9D9A-CF02244DF059.jpeg 3A2A3B16-BDA4-4DD1-B197-DF21DE46D8E1.jpeg

Hi there,

I’ve been to the vets multiple times and asked another vet’s opinion but no one knows what’s wrong with my buns front paw. The bottom pads have become swollen and red and lost all the fur, it’s now starting on the other front paw. He’s eating and running around fine, he won’t put weight on it when he’s sat and it hurts him when we try and look at it. He’s been on anti-inflammatories and been using hippie scrub and a barrier ointment (which he just licks off despite my efforts). But none of that has worked. Any ideas?? Please!

#1 Georgia2394, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Member

has he been walking on a hot surface, or maybe he could be allergic to something hes been walking on?

3. Georgia2394

No hot surfaces, I did think maybe it was an allergy and I’m even getting the carpets cleaned with just water to flush them through but the vet said that there’s no such thing as a rabbit antihistamine or anything they can do for allergies.

4. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Member

maybe you could try some herbal treatment, or see if there is any human creams you could apply to his paws that may help

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What are you using on the floor of his cage? Maybe replace with something else and see if it heals after a couple of weeks?

6. Georgia2394

He doesn’t have a cage, he just lives in my room. The only difference I can think of is that we moved house and the carpet is wool....can rabbis be allergic to wool?!

7. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Not necessarily allergic but some carpets can be surprisingly abrasive. Can you pop some other options for him to sit on? Maybe confine him to an area with lots of fleecey vet bed for a while and see if that helps.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Georgia2394

It’s so strange, his front paws have completely healed and all the fur has grown back, as if nothing was ever wrong. However one of his back legs has shed all its fur, half of his red raw and the other half his just furless but the skin is fine. We’ve been to the vets so many times but they have no idea. He’s on the softest blankets and fleeces possible. It’s just so strange that the front ones are now better but the back ones have gotten bad!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice