Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Brother and sister fallen out!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by TomandMoppet, Apr 7, 2011.

1. TomandMoppet

TomandMoppet PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

I have two cats, brother and sister aged 3 who have always had a really good relationship. They were both neutered a couple of years ago and until this year were indoor cats as we lived in a flat. We moved into a house in the New Year and gradually introduced the cats to the outdoors with absolutely no problems. The cats were always cuddling up together, playing and cleaning eachother. Now the girl seems to have taken an extreme dislike to her brother. She hisses, lashes out and chases him away quite often. He is getting more and more nervous around her - won't go to the feeding bowls at the same time and is keeping his distance from her. I'm finding this really sad as they were so sweet before! Could anyone shed any light on what's going on? Or tell me what I can do (if anything) to change things back?

Thanks in advance!

Hannah-Louise

2. carolmanycats

carolmanycats PetForums VIP

I wonder if she is being bullied or upset by a neighbourhood cat? Often if that is the case they will take it out on their sibling or housemate or can sometimes develop other behavioural problems like inappropriate toileting or over grooming etc.

3. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

What a shame. How long has the falling out being going on for?
    You could get a feliway plug in that might help to calm her.
    Also to get them together you could play with them and give them them treats together.
    If you find that it is another cat causing the problem then i suggest cat proofing your garden.
    They have been use to being indoors so being only allowed in your garden should be ok.

We have done this and it's nice to feel that they are safe from cars humans and other animals.
    Sorry haven't got much advice to give you but hopefully you will get more.

4. TomandMoppet

TomandMoppet PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your responses!

There are other cats around so it could be that she has had a nasty encounter. They have been going outside for a few months but don't seem to have had any problems with the other cats. In the last few days I have seen other cats chasing ours away from their territory. She has been acting horribly to her brother for about two weeks. At first I thought she was unwell and irritable but she seems fine.

I'll try your suggestions, so thanks a lot! We have some felliway that we got for moving into the new house.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice