Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Broadline not working - how long to wait before I can use advantage?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by reed bunting, Nov 30, 2019.

1. reed bunting

reed bunting PetForums Newbie

We have 2 cats who have been on Broadline spot on treatment for fleas & worms for a few years. Suddenly realised that there were fleas in the house around the time that their monthly treatment was due. So we have re-treated them again in the past week. I am now pretty sure that the Broadline has stopped working on the fleas, and would like to swap to advantage spot on and an alternative wormer (dronspot probably).

How long do I need to wait before I can use advantage on them? Is it the full month? What can I do in the meantime other than hoover constantly and use indorex?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, you need to wait a month from the last flea treatment before giving the Advantage spot-on.

Meanwhile, you can use a fine toothed flea comb on the cats' fur. Have a bowl of warm soapy water next to you when grooming and put any live fleas straight into the water. The soap changes the surface tension of the water and prevents the fleas swimming to the edge of the bowl and jumping out.

Spray the whole house with Indorex once now, and again in 6 months time. The manufacturers say there is nothing to be gained by doing it more often than that.

Vacuuming every day is a good idea. Have a read about The Pupal Window on the RIP Fleas website:

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/pupal-window/

3. reed bunting

reed bunting PetForums Newbie

Fantastic. Thank you. Have started with the indorex so will continue...

4. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

You could try a flea trap similar to this
    IMG_20191202_125819~2.jpg
    I got this from Amazon. Not expensive.
    It has a sticky pad in the base (very sticky) and the adult fleas are attracted to the heat from the little bulb. They hop in towards the heat and get stuck to the pad then die through dehydration.
    You'll be amazed at how many are caught while you're waiting to be able to use the Advantage.
    It works best at night when it's dark. Also be careful nobody (human or feline) touches the sticky pad. I used an old supermarket shopping basket upside down to cover the trap but anything similar should work. Little paws couldn't fit through the mesh but the fleas could.

reed bunting likes this.
  5. Hammystar

Hammystar PetForums Member

I've had problems with Broadline too. Jinx was only six months when I discovered it wasn't working and I've spent the last 8 weeks trying to resolve the issue.

My top tips...

1. Spray and vacuum repeatedly
    2. Keep bowls of soapy water in rooms so if you find one you can catch it and dunk it. I became obsessed walking round with bare feet and shining torches to attract them
    3. Wash bedding at a high temp
    4. If there are fleas on your cat, treat them with capstar. This can be used with Broadline (I checked with my vet). It works for 24 hours and kills any fleas that are on the animal. It won't solve the problem but it will gives your cat some relief and with the vacuuming etc it helps break the cycle.
    5. I am now using Credelio which is a flea tablet rather than spot on treatment. Really recommend it if your cat will take pills. Jinx is flea free now and I haven't found on in the house for at least a week.

HS x

reed bunting likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Hammystar - good idea about using Capstar while waiting to use the Advantage. :)

reed bunting likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice