Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP! Blood shot eye!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Brogan Rushton, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Brogan Rushton

Brogan Rushton PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have a 9 and a half week old French bulldog, he's had his first vaccination and health check, and I'm awaiting his second, but yesterday I noticed one of his eyes was a irritated, I only thought to check as he was rubbing it, he doesn't do this incessantly, I've only seen him rub it a few times, but I decided to have a look, and I noticed it was blood shot. I'm very worried, I've rang the vets and they told me to keep an eye on it today and call them back tomorrow if there is no improvement, but being a restless fur momma I'm seeking advice whilst I wait. He's eating well, drinking and he's active, sleeps a lot but that's part of the puppy package, he doesn't appear to be in any distress, but I am! I'll attach some pictures, I really hope he is ok and I thank you for any advice you can give me!

Attached Files:

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Can you see if at the top of the eye lid if he's got something in his eye. His eye needs to be open to look. Am think grass seed if that's at all a possibility

3. Brogan Rushton

Hi, thank you for the quick reply, I'll try and get a better look at it, thank you for the advice, could be something tiny trapped in there, but I don't let him in the garden, not until a couple of weeks after his second vaccination as we have a lot of foxes and cats in the area

4. lullabydream

Might just be some dust or something that's caught his eye then.

If it's still blood shot tomorrow would definitely have his eye checked. I don't rush to the vet with everything but with eyes I am more cautious to be honest.

5. Brogan Rushton

I've had another look and I can't seem to see anything, but he's up and playing now so it's hard to keep him still! I'm not sure if you can see from the picture, it looks like theres a red spot on it, I'm wondering if he's scratched it or caught it on something, I thought it might be an eye infection, but there's no puss or weeping, and it doesn't appear to be swollen. I'm hoping for some peace of mind until tomorrow, but I totally agree, definitely taking him the vets, it looks slightly better than yesterday but I'd really rather not chance it!

6. Brogan Rushton

His other eye appears to be totally fine, and he's very energetic and playful, as I said, eating fine, drinking fine, doesn't seem to be in any pain or distressed, just really hoping it's nothing serious!
    :(

7. lullabydream

If it's not gone tomorrow or even if it has and the red spots are there nip him to the vets. What normal happens is that they put a dye on the eye that checks for any damage. The damage may be caused by a foreign object that has been and gone or rubbing the eye. It's a no win situation if my eyes are sore and itchy i rub them.

I own chihuahuas and Yorkie so like Frenchies their eyes protrude more than other dogs and more prone to getting particles in that can irritate.

To be honest I have one eye incident and that was a grass seed last year with one of my chihuahuas. Noticed her rubbing her eye in the evening. If she's still like that in the morning I said I would take her to the vets. Which I did. I thought I would be coming away with cream as it was just watering and no it was a grass seed so she had to be put under to have it taken out.

Am sure your dog will be fine. Many dogs get touches of conjunctivitis and you have compared both eyes too and spoke to a vet.

Brogan Rushton likes this.
  8. Brogan Rushton

That's very true, I'm definitely getting him go the vets tomorrow, better safe than sorry, I haven't seen him rub it today so I really hope whatever it is, is clearing up, but i'd rather know for sure. I'm so sorry to hear about your little lady! It must have been such a blow to find out she needed surgery, it's so scary :( I had a 10 year old British bulldog who sadly passed away last year, we knew he was old, and be was acting a little unusual, so we took him to the vets expecting a check up and maybe some meds, and be collapsed as soon as we got in there, they rushed him in to a room in the back, next thing I knew they were telling me he had passed, had a heart attack, I was inconsolable, the only solace I can take in it, was that it was quick, I was with him, and I like to think he wasn't in pain. I'm sorry for digressing, I think that's why I'm even more anxious about his eye. I'm so glad your fur baby is all better now, and thank you so much for your replies, I can't wait to get this sorted

lullabydream likes this.
  9. lullabydream

I think many of us here have been in similar situations to loose dogs suddenly. Don't worry about digressing.

Brogan Rushton likes this.
  10. Brogan Rushton

Absolutely, it's unbelievably heartbreaking. Thank you so much for your advice and sharing your experience, and for responding to me so quickly, I really appreciate it!

lullabydream likes this.
  11. Brogan Rushton

Late update! It was conjunctivitis, not sure hows he's aquired it, but he hasn't had his second vaccination yet, maybe that has something to do with it? He has drops three times a day for a week, and it's looking much better! Thanks so much for the advice!

Attached Files:

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice