Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help - bitches have a discharge

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by jackieo, Jul 22, 2009.

1. jackieo

jackieo PetForums Newbie

Three of my girls have all been in season within a few days of each other. The first girl has never conceived and as I intended to try to mate her again, she was put on a 10 day course of anti-biotics. I didn't manage to successfully mate her (she had always been a difficult bitch to mate). My other two girls (both have had one litter previously) then came into season and I mated both of them.
    About a week ago the first girl (that was on ABs and wasn't mated) started to have a yellowish/greenish discharge so I took her to the vet. The vet did a blood test, a swab, a smear and also ultrasounded her womb to see if it was full of pus as he originally suspected pyometra. The scan was normal and so was the blood test, her temperature was normal so he gave me a further five days ABs whilst awaiting the results of the cultures. The results of the swabs came back yesterday and there is no evidence of unusual bacteria. However the other two girls have now also started to show a similar discharge. I rang the vet to see if I could pick up ABs for them as to me it looked like an infection of some sort had passed between them all. However he said that he didn't think they needed ABs as he was sure the discharge was just normal shedding of white cells following their seasons and the first girl's tests had all come back negative.
    I may well be an over anxious parent but I have had bitches for 11 years and have never experienced this sort of discharge. The girls are all eating and drinking normally and appear well but I cannot help feel all is not right.
    Has anyone had experience of anything similar ?

2. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I have 6 labrador bitches ALL of them have this discharge at some time in their cycle.They have also been swabbed for infection at time of mating and all was clear.Hope this puts your mind at rest.

3. jackieo

jackieo PetForums Newbie

Thanks Bucksmum - I probably am a bit paranoid and may not have noticed any discharge in previous seasons as I didn't go looking for it like I have this time !

4. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

My girl had a yellow/green discharge 7 days after being mated. She had no temp and no infection was found. After a 5 day course of anti biotics she was all clear and no further problems. She is now 7 weeks pregnant and all good.
    Vet thought it could of been due to irratation from mateing??? but what ever it was it was localized.

5. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

wow:eek: you were going to try and have 3 litters at the same time?? but now should get two. are they all the same breed?
    think discharge is normal however would just keep an eye on them if your worried just pop the other two to the vets just to put your mind at rest.

6. jackieo

jackieo PetForums Newbie

Hi Kirsty, no I wasn't trying for three litters. If the first girl had been successfully mated, I would only have mated one other girl. I am hoping that one of the two will be in whelp but if they both are, well at least all the sleepless nights come at once !!
    And yes, they are all the same breed.

7. jackieo

jackieo PetForums Newbie

Hi Kirsty, no I wasn't trying for three litters. If the first girl had been successfully mated, I would only have mated one other girl. I am hoping that one of the two will be in whelp but if they both are, well at least all the sleepless nights come at once !!
    And yes, they are all the same breed.

8. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

What breed are your dogs

9. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

Hmm i'm trying my best to be good here...:rolleyes:

what breed are they?
    What's the reason behind the repeat matings?
    Are the bitches health tested if so what for?

Discharge is not uncommon after mating whether it be a success or not, as long as the discharge is not smelly... it's usually just fine

10. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

lol so was i, i think i did well:D

11. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

lol...:p

:D

12. jackieo

jackieo PetForums Newbie

I came on this forum looking for a bit of advice because I was worried about my girls as I have never experienced this kind of discharge before. However, it seems that without knowing me, my dogs or my breeding programme, some people have jumped to totally the wrong conclusion and are making not so subtle hints about my credibility.
    I don't really feel that I should have to justify my original post which I now wish I hadn't sent but for those of you who seem to have nasty, suspicious minds -
    I have owned and shown my breed for 12 years
    I bred my first litter five years ago and have had a total of four litters from four different bitches
    I am a KC accreditted breeder and all my dogs undergo the relevant health checks for my breed.
    I do not breed my girls before the age of two or after the age of five as they are a giant breed
    I would never have more than two litters from any of my girls

When I joined this forum I read a post from another member saying how helpful and friendly she found other breeders on the board. I wish I could say the same. I think the sarcastic comments from Kristy and Dingle were totally unwarranted.
    I don't think any of us, no matter how exeprienced, ever know absolutely everything about breeding so I naively assumed that a dog breeding forum would be a good place to share information and experiences. However it does not seem that this forum wants new members.

13. Dundee

Dundee Banned

To be fair, I'm sure (as a responsible breeder) you can see how your first post may be misconstrued - three litters in one go....

On the subject of your girls - did you use the same stud? Is it a stud that is used regularly and does he have regular checks himself? - just wondering if the same one could he have introduced an infection.

Edited to add

OK, just re-read that your vet doesn't think it's an infection, although I can't say that I would think a greenish discharge is normal (but I'm not a vet). Are your girls ok in themselves?

#13 Dundee, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  14. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Imust admit i was dissapointed when i read some of the replies to your post.It's your business how many litters you have,you shouldn't be judged.Yes,sure,two litters will be damn hard work it's the end result that matters and so long as they are all placed in permanant,loving homes and have all relevant health checks(which you have) i say good for you!Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

15. jackieo

jackieo PetForums Newbie

Dundee - If anyone takes time to read my original post properly, there was never any intention to have three litters. If the first girl had been mated, I would not have bred her sister AND my other import bitch as well.
    I am sure that as most breeders will know, it is common for all bitches that live together to come into season around the same time. I did not plan it this way, it is nature but I would rather have it this way than them having a bitch in season every couple of months.
    I guess I am just a bit shocked that people immediately jump to the worst possible conclusion without being in possession of any of the facts.

It was my own dog that I used on both girls. He had only ever been used once before by myself and I have not made him available at general stud despite currently being on two tickets.

16. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Oooh a giant breed :001_wub: i love giant breeds i am looking at getting a new puppy (a giant breed) in the next couple of years when i decide between them!! lol! I am very interested in St Bernards and Leonbergers. But i also love Bernese moutain dogs, mastiffs, DDB's, Anatonlian shepherds, etc etc lol!! You get the jist :D

Will you let us in on what you breed....;) lol!! I really want to know!

I am sorry i can't offer any advice i don't know about dog breeding first hand. But the breeders on here are very helpful and knowleable. Most don't mean to come across critical they are just really passionate about keeping dog breeds healthy, and getting less dogs in rescue centres. And you are obviously the same, i didn't mean any of that against you, i was just pointing out that they aren't singling you out and being purposely cynical xxx

#16 Acacia86, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  17. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

can i ask what is sarcastic about me asking the questions.. were going to try and have 3 litters at the same time?? but now should get two. are they all the same breed?

the way you worded your first post was as if you were trying to mate 3 bitches, i asked a question and gave you the advice regarding discharge that i would do. how is that sarcastic??

18. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Jackieo, I wasn't trying to justify it or imply that your post caused it, just trying to see how it could be misconstrued unintentionally. :)

Welcome, by the way.:)

19. jackieo

jackieo PetForums Newbie

Kristy
    Your questions weren't sarcastic but your comments (and Dingles) regarding "trying to be good" were as I am sure anyone reading them can see.
    I am a member of a couple of other dog forums where if you had made those types of comments, you would have received a warning from the moderator for flaming.
    Can I ask you about your own experience of dog breeding please ?
    Pedigree dog breeders have had quite enough bad publicity from the BBC with the screening of Pedigree Dogs Exposed and I really don't think people with your attitude are helpful on a forum that should be getting used to improve breeding practices.

20. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

only said i was trying to be good not asking too many questions re breeding three girls at the same time,now you have explained further i can see that the way your first post was read was maybe taken the wrong way. but im sure as a good dog breeder you could see how it may have seemed, we all keep getting told that we cant say somethings even if we dissagree with posters on here hence watching what we say:)
    My own experiance of dog breeding im not willing to post on a topic that isnt mine,however i currently have a litter of 4 pups,hence been shocked at the thought of a few litters at the same time as my 4 feel like they are taking over the house..lol
    My pups come from great lines and from heath tested parents,i only ever breed a litter if i am wanting a pup to bring on and follow all breed guide lines.
    hope all goes well with your girls and i suppose i can see the advantage of haveing pups at the same time just wouldnt be my ideal set up as i would feel asif i wouldnt be able to spend enough time on each of the pups if there were to many(hope that makes sense..lol)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice