Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP! Bird got caught in fly paper!

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by Melysia, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Melysia

Melysia PetForums Member

My daughter came bounding in the bedroom and scared him, he flew off (he can't fly that well 'cos his wings haven't grown back yet but can get high)

Anyway, he got his wing caught on fly paper VERY sticky and annoying stuff. I washed him with fairy liquid and tried to get it off but most of it won't budge! I've looked on the net for answers but can't find any!

Can any one tell me how to get rid of it??? I don't normally have the stuff up, just when we had a really warm spell and we were over run with flies.

2. Melysia

Melysia PetForums Member

Found peanut butter??? and Citra solv but it's an american product! Anyone know anything similar that's safe to use?

3. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Peanut butter is used if a poisonous substance has been ingested.

Unfortunately I cannot advise you on how to remove the fly paper glue. Prehaps a telephone call to a local avian vet?

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along to answer you later.

4. Freebird

Freebird PetForums Member

Try putting corn flower on the sticky feathers, this should take away the stickyness at least until you find something safe to remove the glue with.

5. Melysia

Melysia PetForums Member

Cheers, finally managed to wash most of it off with veg oil and more fairy liquid. Almost back to normal now. It was the non-toxic fly paper so at least that's one thing. Rang a vet they said pretty much the same thing.

6. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

Vegetable oil removes the sticky stuff :)

7. Melysia

Melysia PetForums Member

Just to let people know, Balders is back to normal but the damage is still visible on the wing feathers; causes no trouble but still, it can be seen!

8. oldDoubletrouble

I was going to say try talc! but note that someone has suggested cornflower which sounds much more sensible. Or maybeeven plain flour if you have none
    NOTE! I know nothing about birds - so you would need to check that these suggestion things are harmless to birds
    DT

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice