Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Before I Go Barmy!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lucyab, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Lucyab

Lucyab PetForums Newbie

We have a 12 week old puppy. We thought we had nailed the bedtime routine within the first week of having Alfie. At the start of the second week, he went downhill. We use a crate for him which is open and he has the run of the lounge and kitchen on a night.

It's difficult getting him to do his business before bed no matter how hard we try. I have stood out there 10 mins before now just stood............waiting telling him to "BE QUICK" which is his command for toilet.

If we get anything out of him which does happen most of the time, it just takes a while, we then put him to bed with a few nibbles (training treats). Within minutes of us closing the door and putting the alarm he's crying which he never did in the first week. This doesn't happen all the time but what does happen all the time is around 4.30-5.00 he starts howling and crying which to me means toilet is needed. So, we wait for him to stop for a minute or so, get up to find all his toilet business is on the puppy pads (which is great) but also on the kitchen floor (not great). We let him out and he thinks it's playtime. I say to him, "BE QUICK" which he ignores and dashes around like he's ready for what I call, 'the mad half hour'. When he doesn't I get him inside and put him away in his cage. I would normally go back to bed but I can't be done with the crying again so I've stayed up.....much to my heads disappointment.

Please help someone, I need to get Alfie to stop crying, it's driving us BARMY!!!

Thanks.

Dan.

2. Lucyab

Lucyab PetForums Newbie

Someone please reply!!!!!!!!

3. caelsgirl

caelsgirl PetForums Junior

Cover his crate fully, IGNORE his crying. If he poops or pee's inside IGNORE tht too just place him outside and clear it up with an odour removing cleaner, DO NOT USE A CLEANER WITH AMMOINIA IN IT it smells similar to their urine. Don't remove him from the crate as soon as he's soiled it as he will associate soiling to getting out and will continue to do tht. If you think he's destressed get him some anxiety drops from your vet it may be he is suffering from seperation anxiety.

Don't worry he will learn pretty quick, BE STRONG!!!

4. Lucyab

Lucyab PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply but he's not soiling in his crate. It's nothing to do with the soiling because as I said he is using his puppy pads. He just seems to think that when I come down to let him out, it's playtime and then he whines when I leave him again. It's hard to ignore!

5. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I have been shutting the crate door at night for my puppy and so far she has been clean through the night. I have also covered the crate with a blanket to stop the early morning light from waking her up.

Good luck! ;)

6. caelsgirl

Are you fully shutting him in, in his crate at night?? When you take him out are you giving him attention? Try ignoring him when you do take him outside, just reward him when he does his buisness then leave him again.

If it's seperation anxiety, which can occur if he has a strong bond with you, try placing him in his crate during the day and sitting nearby for a few minutes, then leave the room for a few minutes then return again, wait for him to be quiet then let him out and give him a treat, this way he won't associate being in the crate with you leaving him. repeat this leaving him for longer intervals.

Also try feeding him in the crate too.

7. Lucyab

Lucyab PetForums Newbie

See...it's funny you should mention this because we have only just started leaving the door open for him allowing him space at night. The reason for this is apparently you're not supposed to lock your puppy away in a crate. You're supposed to leave it open. We have read this in a book. We did do it for the first week (lock him in) but we were worried that we were doing his bladder damage by leaving him all night in there until he woke us up by wanting to go out.

8. lynn9994

lynn9994 PetForums Junior

As with all puppies you have to be patient, toilet training rarely happens overnight. The howling at night is normal just let him carry on he will soon realise you are not going to come down to him and he will stop. Mind you i would not let him have the run of the lounge this must mean he can get to the door of which you went through to go to bed, meaning he could start scratching as well has howling.

You say he starts crying in the morning around 4.30-5.00 this is your que to get up and let him out not to wait and see if hes done it on the pad. When you have a puppy you have to be prepared to get up in the night to let them out. no good letting him out after hes done it. Not all puppies at that age can hold it til morning. Give him plenty of praise when he does it outside and the odd treat but not everytime and you will find he will soon get the hang of it. Another thing you can do is withold his water from about 8-8.30 in the evening this will help.

I wish you luck i still get up in the middle of the night for my lot :(

9. caelsgirl

I think you have given him full run too soon, start from scratch and keep it up until he is fully housetrained.

Remember to praise him for good behaviour and ignore the bad. any attention to a dog is good attention.:wink5:

10. Lucyab

Lucyab PetForums Newbie

Lynn, again thanks for your reply. Not sure if I quite agree with holding back a dogs water for the night. This comes across as a bit cruel. Surely will he not be really thirsty by the morning? Regarding getting up, I do get up at 4.30-5.00 without an issue but what I am saying is sometimes he will not go, he seems to think that if he cries at this time, he can get us up and it will be playtime which we do not do, even in the slightest.

He has the run of the dining room and kitchen, not the lounge, but yes he has started scratching the door to the lounge (which is the last door we leave him).

Maybe I should start locking him away again.

11. Lucyab

Lucyab PetForums Newbie

I think you're right hun, it's persuading Lucy to see that this is the best way to handle him.

Thanks.

12. caelsgirl

There are a few sites on line tht advise with behavoiral problems, try googling dog behavior problems and crate training and you will get a lot of advice come up from dog behaviorists. Just research the ass of crate training, i did and it really helped. It may help for Lucy to read them, you both need to be singing from the same hymn sheet or he'll run rings round the both of you.

Good luck.

13. lynn9994

I must say i agree with locking in the crate at night, it is what i do with a puppy until it is house trained. one of my still sleeps in the crate at night locked and she is pregnant at the moment but she won't go anywhere else.

As for witholding water it is not cruel, if they are fed at 5-6 in the evening this is fine as long as you put it down in the morning straight away. Also covering crate is a good idea and in a corner or under a table they feel more secure like that.

14. Lucyab

Lucyab PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much guys for your help. We'll try this now. See if we get a change in sleep pattern.

15. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

With regard to the water, I normally let Nelly pug (nearly 10 weeks) have a quick sip of water after she has been out for her last toilet visit and then it's crate time and lights out.

See how it goes with the crate door closed. A lot of people close the crate door at night, so don't feel bad. Hope your nights get better soon. I am sure they will. :)

16. boxerlife

boxerlife PetForums Junior

Yea don't feel bad about shutting the crate at night, he should be sleeping anyway!! Just be careful about crate being too big or he could soil down one end. Just set your alarm and take him out during the night once or twice depending on his age. Let him have water throughout day but as soon as bed time remove the water. Good luck :D

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would definitely shut him in the crate at night, otherwise what is the point of it. And if he is crying at 5ish because he needs the toilet what is the point in waiting till he has stopped crying till you go to him, obviously he will then have been where he shouldnt. Either ignore him totally and leave him with the mess or get up immediately and put him outside before he goes elsewhere. I have never put water in my pup's crate and it doesnt seem to bother her. She has always been clean and dry and quiet at night too.

18. Lucyab

Lucyab PetForums Newbie

Well, you'll all be pleased to hear last night was a roaring success!!!!!

My wife and I had both been out seperately last night for a couple of hours and Lucy got home first with me around 30 mins after. Alfie was obviously excited so I had some real intense, 'I'M GONNA TIRE THIS DOG OUT IF IT BLOODY KILLS ME' time. It only took around 20 minutes and he was pooped so he can't have been too pent up.

Anyways, took him outside for a wee which he did straight away more or less bar a few sniffs of his toys and rolling on his back. He went on command and then came back in on command!!! I wanted to faint like in some old romantic 1940's movie (even though I'm a bloke!). He had a MASSIVE drink of water before he got in which I thought, "Uh Oh", but I wasn't gonna stop him mid slurp.

He got into bed and I gave him his rawhide which he goes loopy for and shut the crate, put a puppy pad in just in case and pulled a duvet over it which we do normally anyway.

He whined for around 20-30 minutes but I had my trusty earplugs. After 30 minutes though I didn't need them because he had piped down and I didn't get woken up until 06.00 this morning with his usual, 'please let me out' cry. He'd also managed to drop his rawhide on the wrong side of the crate, so the poor bugger didn't have anything to chew all night apart from his other toy.

I came down, not one accident, I let him out into the garden and he ran past all his toys that are scattered in the garden straight to his toilet spot at the top and had the longest wee ever!!! He then went and did a trap 2 straight after!!!

I'm so proud of my boy but I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed yesterday. I was so tired when I created the post I thought I could have died but this morning is very different!!!

We now have Lucy's brothers wedding today. Lucy is bridesmaid and I'm an usher so we have friends staying over at ours for the weekend to look after him. Feel bad leaving him, it's gonna be like leaving a baby for the first time I suppose! I know they'll look after him though, they absolutely adore him.

Thanks again folks.

See you soon with another chapter, 'HELP ME!!!!!'

Dan.

19. lynn9994

So pleased you had a better night, hope he improves and you can start to enjoy the nice things about owning a dog and the enormous pleasure it brings. Good luck with wedding have a nice day..

Lynn

20. caelsgirl

It's such a good feeling when they get it right huh? well done, and i'm sure you'll have lots of fun with your baby in the future LOL:p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice