UK Pet Forums Forum banner

HELP beagle dog not sleeping at night

999 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Woah 
#1 ·
We have an 11 month old beagle! Crate trained since day one and has slept happily downstairs in his cosy bed, every night since he came home.
Last week he whined and cried when we put him to bed one night randomly, then every night since he has done the same.
I went out and bought new beddings and blankets, so that night he went to bed in his crate without any issues. He still takes himself off to his crate various times through out the day and night for naps.
Anyway last night he started again. His whining quickly turns into a beagle howl, which is extremely loud as anyone with a beagle will know. We have tried to ignore him but he continued for an hour straight getting louder and louder as time went on. We don’t want to keep the neighbours awake, this has been happening for almost one week and it’s driving us up the wall.
We really do not want him in our bedroom!
We are so confused as he was doing SO well and loved his crate of a night has always settled without a problem.
Has anyone got any advice or tips on how we can sort this situation out?

#2 ·
Maybe something disturbed him, or is continuing to disturb him in the garden. You could teach him a 'settle down' cue in daytime then use that at night - easier if he was in your room for a few nights, it wouldn't have to be forever. Once he is reliably sleeping through you could move him back downstairs. Or you could sleep on the sofa for a few nights. But as long as he can hear you deliver the 'settle' cue it might be successful.

#3 ·
It’s possible he may have been disturbed by something, as we have patio doors in kitchen and he sleeps by them.
His crate is covered over with a crate cover day & night too.
We have slept on the couch a few nights now, and last night we brought crate up onto our landing as the howling/baying became too much.. me and my partner both up for work around 5.30am... so he slept in there but still took a while to settle and seemed to restless through out the night.
Usually we use the word ‘bed’ but he doesn’t seem to be responding to this as he used it, have tried lots of positive reinforcements like treats when he goes to his bed etc.
We could try something else like ‘settle down’ so thanks.. hate the thought of him feeling so distressed and clearly anxious being away from us.. but we also need sleep and are all exhausted!

#4 ·
I’d have his crate in my room so he has company and will hopefully learn to settle. He can be told to settle if he stirs without having to get up.

Once he’s in a good routine and sleeping well again, I’d gradually move him to where I want him to sleep.

I’d ensure the patio doors have heavy lined curtains or choose a different room altogether.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.