Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help and advice please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by thedogsmother, Aug 6, 2009.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My sister has asked me to watch her rabbit while she is on holiday, having only recently found out about flystrike I would like to know what I need to look out for I understand that you need to check twice a day but I don't know what I will be checking for, and is there any other advice you can give me while looking after her, she will be staying at my sisters house but I will go round as often as you advise to check on her and let her have some playtime.

2. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Its imporatant to mainly just check that the rabbits bottom is clean. If it is in anyway way mucky then I usually wipe my bunnies bots with cotton wool pads and warm water. Full baths are not often required! Also clean out their hutches/living area regularly...its important to not attract flies in any way basically. Flies like to lay eggs in warm, moist smelly places so if you eliminate these then you shouldn't have a problem.

Its nice to see that you really care about the rabbits you're looking after even though they aren't your own :D

3. thedogsmother

How often should I clean the hutch out or is it just a case of taking any wet/dirty bits out when she does it, I will be rabbit sitting for a week. Thanks AmyCruick I do want to do the best for her, is there anything else I need to know apart from cleaning the hutch, checking her bottom, feeding her and giving her fresh water.

4. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Can you steal her for me??? :D
    I think you just need to clean them out as and when. But give the hutch a full clean out once a week..
    Cant really suggest anything else... Ask Frags :D

5. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Yes as above I'd just clean out the mucky bits as and when they appear and do a full clean out once a week.

Think you've got pretty much everything covered... maybe a cuddle or two if they are tame and you feel comfortable to handle them ;)

6. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

One more golden rule...

Piccies piccies piccies!!! :D:D

7. thedogsmother

I think I will be able to manage a few piccies (if I remember lol)

So thats clean, feed, water, photograph and cuddle, I think I can manage that. Stealing might be a problem because she knows where I live:D.

8. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Is it possible to let her have a bit of a run round somewhere, even just 20mins? And then as everyone else has said :)
    Good to see you back here :p

*Heidi*

9. thedogsmother

I think they have a side garden that is fenced all around, I will have to make sure she is catchable first though, are there any treats I can take for her?

10. hazyreality

Something like greens, maybe a carrot once during the week. pick some grass for her, dried banana. ask your sister what she is allowed maybe because you dont want to be upsetting her tummy!
    Has she got a tiled kitchen or somewhere in the house you can let her run round, so you can clean up and she is more catchable.

*Heidi*

11. thedogsmother

She has carpet throughout, the side garden would be ideal if I can tempt her back, are those harnesses any good and do they need to be trained to use them.

12. hazyreality

Personally I don't mind using harnesses, alot of people would disagree, I have to say I dont really like the ones with the straps. I found one in a pet shop yesterday which was like a little jacket and I think that one would be secure and wouldnt hurt them. They find them funny at first but I just tend to put it on and let them go where they want to go, rather than making them walk. As long as you dont pull on it too much, you should be fine. I find nudging their bum with my toe makes them move a bit more :p they sometimes need a little push!

*Heidi*

13. thedogsmother

Thanks for all the advice everyone but my delightful sister went on holiday yesterday without contacting me to finalise things, when I text her to ask where food etc was she said she has asked a neighbor to sort her out:mad:. I was really looking forward to it as well.

14. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

:cursing:
    I was looking forward to piccies! :rolleyes:

15. thedogsmother

My daughter described the hutch and it sounds really small soI am going to make an excuse to see her when my sister comes back off holiday, she says she is quite a big rabbit and the hutch is as wide as a hamster heaven but two story and there is no run:eek: I wish I could get round to the back of the house to look.

16. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

:( poor thing...
    I hope you manage to see

17. thedogsmother

I definately will and if she is in a tiny hutch I will get her to buy a decent one, there are absolutely loads on ebay and lots of them come with runs so she can't say she can't afford. I can't help wondering if she changed her mind about me looking after her because I might not like how she is kept. She says I spoil Henrick because he has two walks a day:confused:.

18. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

:eek:hmy: but... :confused:

There was a lovely hutch in paws for thought today...
    It was a doube height with a run attatched.. It was about 5ft, maybe bigger...
    It was only £112..
    I've seen smaller hutches for a LOT more money :rolleyes:

They dont have it online but they do have this...
    It's quite a nice size... provided that the bun will also have a run
    Double Tier Rabbit Hutch - 5 Foot : Paws for Thought, Leeds

19. thedogsmother

She comes back in a week so I will call in and "see how her holiday went" and make an excuse to see Baby (Baby is the rabbit by the way).

20. hazyreality

Aww, that sucks! you were really looking forward to it aswell!

I think you would have given the rabbit a really good week :p

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice