Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help and advice needed regarding new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Crystalsangel, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Crystalsangel

Crystalsangel PetForums Junior

New here I posted a couple days ago about my soon to be kitten my aunt (my mums her sister araged it) cat had kittens and she's giving one to me (I know she should have spayed her but she won't) there only 6 weeks so shouldn't be leaving mum for awhile but iv just had a message of my mum saying the mother cat is no longer feeding them and apparently has started attacking them so my aunt wants them gone by sat (7 weeks exactly) which is way way to early
    I'm kinda hoping you knowledgeable people will be able to give me some tips I can get my aunt to try to get mum cat to look after them again?
    On a different note I'm not 100% sure I believe them as when first asked if I wanted her thay wanted me to take her at 6-8 weeks (there both terrible owners I know) I said that she needed to be atleast 12-13 weeks and if they were worried about cost I'd pay her upkeep till then
    What can I do to help this poor baby being taken from mum so early

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Short of offering to take mum and the litter off her, there's not much else you can do

Lurcherlad and Treaclesmum like this.
  3. Crystalsangel

Wish I could tbh but apparently she's there "baby" or so they put on fb
    Iv not had such a young kitten in a long time my current boy we found in the bins at our old flat took him strate to vets who said he was around 12-14 weeks
    He did have a single kitten with my girl (couldn't be fixed) but mum was obviously there till we found baby a home at 13 weeks old
    My boy was fixed then but vet didn't tell me he could get my girl pregnant still (iv since changed vets as he did other things wrong) I do kno I'm to blame to as should have done research myself but hes been my only boy and trusted my vet at the time
    Still waiting for reply from my mum
    Will spend next couple days getting her room ready and reading up
    Oh and I still have nothing for her thought I had another 6ish weeks left

4. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Poor baby.. in your position I would rather be tempted to take 2 of them, as this will be comforting for the little one to have a litter mate with her, and will actually be much less work for you. They will keep each other warm, comforted and entertained. Is it possible for you to adopt two?

5. Crystalsangel

She only had 2 and the boy has a home already

6. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I would definitely offer to take Mum as well then. I know your aunt wants to keep the cat but you can tell her she will still be in the family and she can still see her. Or even offer to foster Mum until kitten is 12 or 13 weeks old, before returning her. Then you can get her spayed too...;)

Calvine, chillminx, jill3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Crystalsangel

I don't see my aunt or mum very often last time for aunt was my mums wedding 2yrs ago my mum I see 1-2times a yr were not close tbh I don't like her as a person
    Iv called about looking after mum and babys but that's a definite no
    And it gets worse the boy went to his new home Monday at just 6+3 weeks old I'm so mad but I can't do anything (would cat protection/rspca do anything)
    I'm worried if I don't take her they'll just find someone else to home her with and atleast with me I know she'd be well cared for and loved plus spayed so this cycle won't continue

Treaclesmum and Soozi like this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We took in a young “free to good home” kitten who was probably less than 8 weeks and he was fine.

We fed him on sloppy wet food at first which he managed very well.

I’m sure this kitten will be better off with you, whatever it’s age tbh

Shame the mum can’t be caught and handed to a rescue to be spayed. I doubt she’s microchipped. Maybe CP could help?

We got all our cats in the days when 8 weeks was the age recommended and all were great, healthy cats with nice temperaments (with humans and other family cats) who lived to ripe old age.

#8 Lurcherlad, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Calvine likes this.
  9. Crystalsangel

Will call cat protection when they open

10. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

If they wont let you look after Mum then I think you just have to take kit. There are some wonderful people on here who will give you lots of advice as you care for the teeny one.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Crystalsangel

Thank you it's been a restless night but atleast I know she'll be safe with me
    A trip to pets at home is in order I think

12. Crystalsangel

Cat protection can't do anything as it's not a legal requirement to spay a cat and there's no proff that mum hasn't actually regected the kittens just a hunch on my part
    And as mum cat looks healthy that's the end of it
    Pic of mum 2 days be for baby's were born she's an absolute beauty

Attached Files:

Calvine, Lurcherlad and moomoowawa like this.
  13. moomoowawa

moomoowawa PetForums Member

Shes gorgeous!

14. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

We used to take kittens at 8 weeks (sometimes 6) when I was young, and they were physically fine. We were a bit ignorant then of kitten's needs, Mum hasn't finished teaching them the skills they need to be grown up well adjusted adults but they'll be fine.
    Yes, Mum-puss will push them away around now when their little needle teeth are getting too much for her to tolerate suckling, but that doesn't mean she's throwing them out - just she wants them to stop feeding off her.
    Kittens don't need expensive toys, its nice for them to have a bed but any chair, sofa, bed, pile of clean clothes(!) will do, so unless you want to indulge yourself buying playthings they will chase rolled up paper, piece of string or a feather duster etc - anything you like.
    Kitty will have a good home with you - well done. Take her now and love her.

Lurcherlad and Treaclesmum like this.
  15. Crystalsangel

Picking her up between 10-11 Saturday I'm so excited may have gone a little overboard shopping lol but the ginger ninja got more of his fav food to which he down pretty quick IMG_20190912_161619.jpg IMG_20190912_161853.jpg

Calvine, jill3, Emmasian and 3 others like this.
  16. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

You've got some great stuff there! Just a brief word of warning from a mistake I made - if you are going to change the kitten's diet I would do it very slowly. Lily's is a superb food but I would keep them on what they are used to for the first few weeks, just adding in small amounts, increasing as you go.

Two of my guys arrived being fed this awful adult stuff from Aldi. I put them straight onto Lily's and it was too much of a swift change for their tummies and they ended up with diarrhea.

AmsMam and jill3 like this.
  17. Crystalsangel

Thank the lily's is for my boy cat
    I have picked up a couple of kitten ones but that's for later on the baby's on felix and pets at home dry kitten at the moment that's why I got that
    Iv picked up some Harrington dry kitten as that's what the ginger ninja is on and he loves it
    How long would you recommend before starting to mix old with the new stuff?

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Crystalsangel - hi. :)

Never mix a new type of food with an old food.

Always serve the new food by putting one teaspoonful on a separate dish next to the dish of the kitten's usual food. If kitty hasn't eaten the new food after a couple of hours throw the sample teaspoonful of food away and try again next day with a fresh teaspoonful on a separate dish. Give it 3 days of trying, before deciding the kitty does not like that particular food.

If kitty does eat the sample of new food, then wait 24 hours and check litter tray for signs of loose stools before increasing the amount of new food you give her. If her bowel is OK then increase the new food slowly, day by day while you decrease the old food. The whole swap over process should take about 4 days with a kitten.

Do not introduce another new food for 3 weeks, and when you do, use the same gradual method as above.

A slow and gradual introduction is the best chance you'll have of kitty avoiding an upset tummy.

19. Crystalsangel

Sorry wrong choice of words I know not to mix mix I meant as in give both

chillminx likes this.
  20. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Wow, you had a good shopping spree for toys and supplies for your new fur baby - what fun, I love shopping for my babies.
    I think your little under age kitty will be falling on his/her feet with you, and will soon let you know which food she prefers without any a doubt. Don't worry.
    A word of warning, she will miss her mum dreadfully at first and her cries will break your heart. They say a tepid hot water bottle in her bed with a ticking clock hidden in her bedding to simulate her mum's heartbeat will be comforting, but I don't know the reasons for this. Worth trying. A word of warning avoid taking her into bed with you, although she will love it, in case you lie on her and kill her, people do it with their own babies so a tiny kitten is extra vulnerable.
    Is it tomorrow she's coming? That must be SO exciting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice