Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help and advice needed - please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bailey, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Bailey

Bailey PetForums Newbie

My mother has an8 year old Burmilla (Burmese/Chinchilla x). Every 2 or 3 months he collapses, his breathing becomes erratic and fast, sometimes to the point of open mouth panting (but with no sound), he does not go unconscious but he is not aware of his surroundings. He sometimes cries out like a howl, loses control of his bladder and poos himself and cannot stand properly. The howling sometimes continues from time to time throughout the episode. It can last 30 – 60 minutes and then he gradually returns to normal. The vets have carried out loads of test but can find nothing wrong. They have prescribed PREDNIFOLONE to help with his breathing if he sounds like he is struggling but can’t offer any other advice. He feels cold and his paws feel clammy. His eyes are open but unfocussed. This has been going on for about three years and seems to happen every 2 or 3 months. Any suggestions on what this could be?

2. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

I really am hazarding a guess but could it be epilepsy or something to do with his circulation?Maybe try a local reputable Burmese/Chinchilla breeder and see if they can shed any light on the situation.Good luck, i'm sure you'll sort it out:)Just thought could it be a panic attack or something of the sort?

3. may

may PetForums VIP

Have You Had His Heart Tested ?

4. Desertstorm

Desertstorm PetForums Member

The next time he does this, see if he has eaten anything different... getting into dog food, table scraps etc. my friend's dog does the same exact thing and it is food allergy related. My teacup poodle did this and it acted like seizures. He was 15 years old however and it just started happening and continued till he died at the age of 16. then....Could your kitty be diabetic and perhaps have high or low sugar??

5. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

Thats how our dogs started.
    I really do recommend asking a breeder and then taking it to the vets to do a full body scan, i think they're like cat scans or something.

6. linda 55555

linda 55555 PetForums Newbie

I had a tabby cat at 8 years of age that did this also. It turned out to be seizures from a brain tumor.He was perfectly normal until this happened and it kept on happening so much that we decided to put an end to his suffering and put him peacefully to sleep at the vets suggestion. I couldnt bear to watch him when he went through the seizures as he was so frightened each time.Euthanazia was the lesser of the two evils.

7. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Sounds like an epileptic seizure, don't know if they can get that though.

8. linda 55555

well any seizure caused by something in the brain can look like epilepsy but they can find that out easy enough through blood work but my cats was a brain tumor found through expensive x-rays.

9. linda 55555

I meant to say how beautiful your kitties look Treaclesmum--Lovely!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice