Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help and advice being sort!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Nikinsey2016, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Nikinsey2016

Nikinsey2016 PetForums Newbie

My 11 year old cocker has had bad teeth and now had many teeth removed. Over this time he's has become very growly and snarling to the point that I can't stroke or touch him. Even talking to him will see his head go down, growling starts and he turns around slowly, moves away with his tail tucked under him. He then barks and howls for a time. He was such a lovely affectionate Spaniel and I would love to have him back, it's very upsetting to see him like this. Can this behaviour be unlearned? Any help grateful, I don't know where to start.

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome.

I suggest you put this in the dog chat or the training and behaviour forums as this part is for help on how to use the forum. You should then get lots of useful replies. :)

3. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

I would get him back up the vets first as he may still be in pain.
    How long ago did he have his teeth out? Does he eat ok?

Lurcherlad and bogdog like this.
  4. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I'd definitely get him back to the vets, any sudden behaviour change should get checked by a vet to rule out medical reasons.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

How recently did you have the teeth removed and had them last checked ? If he has got any teeth left or still got some periodontal issues then he may still be having some pain and discomfort. So its worth ruling that out and also checking to see if there may be anything more going on health wise that may be causing him pain discomfort or making him feel generally unwell. Health problems can cause a dog to be very snappy and reactive.

Another consideration could possibly be cognitive dysfunction, like older people dogs can lose cognitive function, and can become confused. Is there any other behavioural changes? Often with this things you see are, maybe becoming more awake and agitated at night, but they will then often sleep more and sounder in the day. They may stare or bark at seemingly nothing. Some may not be so responsive to their owners, or commands too and become more withdrawn, although some may become clingy and not cope with being left or different situations so well. Loss of toilet training can be another that you sometimes see. They may also do odd things like wanting to go in the garden, and stand there looking lost and like they are wondering what they are doing out there. Some will walk into corners and cant figure out how to get out again when it progresses. There are things that can help with CDS like aktivait, senilife and there are also veterinary only medicines.

Other thoughts has the vet checked his eyes too see if there may be any deterioration in sight now his getting a bit older? Loss of sight can also make some dogs to act strange, and also things like hearing loss. It could be behavioural, but really you need to rule out any medical causes first.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice