Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP! Advice re a stray

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by khedden79, Jul 23, 2009.

1. khedden79

khedden79 PetForums Newbie

Hi

A male cat has been visiting my house since the winter. At first I thought he was just a wanderer, but I have found him in pouring rain and blowing gales, on my doormat, trying to get shelter. He was out all winter and sometimes comes to us so wet that his hair is parted. He is in a mess (though has improved since I have started feeding him). He is not particularly thin but has narrow hips, only one incisor, runny eyes and is always sneezing and snuffling. So, I am really not sure that he has a home at all. If he goes away at night, he always reappears in the morning covered in grass/burrs/cobwebs so I don't know if he just sleeps in a hedge somewhere!

Anyhow...he gets on just fine with my two girl kitties. The both quite like him. They are vaccinated so I am not too worried. I have a few concerns about him though.

Would I stress him out too much if I took him to the vet? He is friendly but old...
    How can I get him to use the litter tray? He sometimes just wants to stay inside (we don't have a cat flap) and has had a couple of accidents.
    He has EXTREMELY runny faeces and I do think he could do with a visit to the vet. Would it be safe to worm him anyway to see if that is the trouble?

This little guy really has stolen my heart. Any advice would be greatly received. He is the black and white one, by the way!

Thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

sorry i dnt have much advise jst wanna say you look as tho your doin a fantastic job with him. weldone for bein so caring :)

if a trip to vets is possible id deff take him jst to see wats goin on.

keep up the good work :)

3. XxNaomixX

XxNaomixX PetForums Junior

Hi. Well done for taking the poor guy in :) I think you should take him to the vets, just to make sure he's ok.

Matrix get's stressed when going into her carrier so I just ease her in with a few treats and then talk to her when she's in the carrier. Oh and if she starts getting agitated, I distract her by calling her name or running my fingers along the railing of her carrier.

I have found that cats are quite private creatures, mine won't go if someone's in the room... So I would suggest watching him for little tell-tale signs and then when you think he's about to go somewhere other than litterbox, make your presence known by coughing or something (just to get his attention) and then take him to the litterbox.

I hoped I've helped a little bit...

Naomi xx

4. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

he is almost the double of the stray that is always trying to come into my house (he is actually outside my door just now but we have kittens so cant let him in)

#4 ellie8024, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

have attached a pic of "stinky" as my kids call him

Attached Files:

6. khedden79

God...that's so spooky! He really does look like your stray ellie!! I had to put him out before I popped out this evening and now I feel so guilty because it's raining. Thanks so much for everyone's advice. I think I will try to get him to the vet...even if I do end up scratched. He's such a sweet old man and I hate the thought of his eyes/runny bum not being treated. By the way...he discovered the bed this week! He looked like the happiest cat EVER. I swear I got a tooth-less grin!

7. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

our boy thankfully has all his teeth and seems healthy (my hand got a good clawing earlier as i dares to pet him ha ha) but i am the same as you, as soon as i can get him less timid he is going sraight over to the vets.. ok i have a sick sence of humour but the mental image of the vet trying to deal with my boy made me giggle

8. khedden79

Well ours is very tame...although not to fond of me lifting him to show him the litter tray....and when I do, he just looks at me like I am mental! He loves a good head tickle although I am sure his hips and shoulder joints are sore as he grumbles if he has to jump anywhere! I may phone the vet tomorrow, if he shows up, and see if I can keep him long enough to meet an appointment! We have named him tom (not very inspirational, I know) as he is ahem, intact! Thankfully, my girls are spayed, though he would make lovely kittens with either of them!

9. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

aww sweet. I know ours is the dad of our muffin's babies (i took her in when she was pregnant with her 2nd lot and i took one of her 1st litter) as i saw him and her when i went to visit a few weeks before taking her and cookie and they do have the most gorgeous babies but all good things must come to an end and madam will be getting speyed once she has put on enough weight. I got muffin from someone who shares the same garden with me so he was always outside anyway and now seeing madam at my window attracted him here

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice