Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help/advice please re biting on walks

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Zola1507, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Zola1507

Zola1507 PetForums Junior

Hi I wonder if anybody could offer any advice please. We have a 9 month old Bulgarian rescue pup who we think is possibly collie/lab cross. We have had her 3 months and she has settled in at home very well. When we first started walking her she was quite anxious and was reluctant to leave home, kept stopping on the street and refusing to walk. We have worked on this with her and she is greatly improved. The problem we now have is she sometimes has these "attacks" whilst out on a walk where she goes crazy and starts biting me very hard on my legs, sometimes puts her paws around my legs whilst doing this and also can be at my arms aswell. Now that she is getting bigger/stronger she is really hurting me and both my legs are covered in bruises and marks. She did it today and this was after she had stopped to say hello to 2 dogs so I guess she was over excited but it also appears to happen totally randomly and for no apparent reason, ie sometimes nobody or no dogs or anyone is around. Can anybody suggest anything that I could try please? Thank you

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

My dog does this on walks often if he’s over tired or anxious. It may be that meeting dogs is a bit of an over load. I would try and distract on walk and have distance betweeen her and dogs. Does she like games like tug ? How long do you walk her for ?

3. Zola1507

We had only been walking for 10 minutes when it happened today. Sometimes it can happen in the first 5 minutes, sometimes halfway through there is no pattern. She does have a couple of tug ropes, should I take one of these with me do you think?

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I have a special tug made of real fur that only comes on walks. My boy is a bit of a nightmare so I try and keep him calm and engaged with me. Tug or ball is useful when he starts jumping on me to redirect but I also use it when he’s calm.

What’s she like with food another good thing to do is to sprinkle treats and get her sniffing Loki isn’t a massive foodie so it has to be really high value but sniffing calms him and wears his little brain out. You can also redirect by dropping a treat and pointing it out @O2.0 had a good thread on engagement. Try and get her to pass other dogs with her focus on you.

5. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

It sounds like over stimulation/stressredirection
    In layman's terms ....
    she's so over excited or stressed about something she needs to release it in a, for her, comforting way
    Dogs chew to release endorphins, the feel good hormone,
    as she hadn't got a chew toy with her, then you become her chew toy
    I'm sure someone will come along and explain it more scientifically and in depth
    Learn to read her
    Taking her away from the other dogs, maybe just by 30 seconds, may have avoided you getting chewed
    Taking a chew toy (on that you can also throw perhaps) or getting her to hold it in her mouth as you leave the house, may avoid the
    'oh my god! I'm going for a walk'
    During the first 60 seconds of walking out of the house
    You need to redirect that redirection onto something more socially acceptable, and, teach her that, with no exemptions, you are not her chew toy
    Start indoors before moving outside, don't set her up to fail

6. Zola1507

She does like a tug toy so I can try taking that with us - would it not encourage her to jump up at me more instead of walking? She loves her food so sprinkling treats is a great suggestion. Thanks for your help :)

7. Zola1507

Thanks for your reply, some very helpful suggestions for me to try there. I am definitely going to take something with us for her to chew on and to carry if she wants to :)

8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I find he doesn’t he knows the game the real fur is very motivating as well.

Zola1507 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice