Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Advice needed regarding my Maine coon kittens eating habits

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mainecoonmummy89, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Mainecoonmummy89

Mainecoonmummy89 PetForums Newbie

Hi all!

I would really appreciate your advice !
    We got Oscar and Loly 6 weeks ago, they are two 4 months old brother and sister maine coons.
    I'm starting to be concerned lately, as they are eating soooooo much !
    They go through 8 pouches of royal cannin wet food a day, plus 600 to 800g boiled chicken!
    As soon as we dish out the food, they go for it like crazy!
    They eat a lot, and sleep equally as much , and they also seem to be jumping around thoughout the night.
    I'm just wondering is this normal????
    They weigh 2.4 kg and 2.5kg ( the male) at just 4 months.
    The vet says it's ok, but I'm wondering, is 1.2kg of food daily not too much ?or they'll just be huge cats with a huge appetite?
    Your advice is much appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Mainecoonmummy89

Ps apologies for the spelling errors ☺️

3. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome! :)

Kittens should be given as much food as they will eat, so totally normal. This should be until they are at least one. But I'm not sure if it's acceptable to let Maine Coons have as much as they want until they are 2/3 years old as they are a slow growing breed.

However, Royal Canin really isn't good food at all. The best wet food is grain, vegetable and sugar free, you also don't need to buy kitten food either. The boiled chicken is much better for them, but you don't want to be giving them too much as it's not a balanced meal for them. You might find buying from Zooplus much better, as it's also better to feed at least three different brands of wet food on rotation. This prevents food boredom and if there are any recipe changes that aren't liked, you still have options to feed. A thread was created a while a go to help see what the good stuff is. Zooplus also sell big 800g tins and normally I'd tell people wet cat food can be frozen, but something tells me once a tin is open it won't have food in for long!

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

You might like to consider raw feeding. Although it looks more expensive, it has everything a cat needs so they need less. I can recommend Luna and Me.

https://www.lunaandme.com/

Do you have any photos of Oscar and Loly you can share with us? :D

Jackie C, bluecordelia, Soozi and 2 others like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Mainecoonmummy89 and welcome :)

(I don't see any spelling errors :))

800 grams (8 x 100 gram pouches) of Royal Canin wet food + 800 grams of boiled chicken sounds a lot between 2 kittens.

All foods fed to growing kittens should be complete foods. Are you adding a vitamin & mineral completer (such as Felini Complete) to the boiled chicken? If you are not then the kittens won\t be getting all the nutrients they need in their food, and this could cause their bodies to tell them they are very hungry constantly. At present half their diet is boiled chicken and it definitely needs a supplement with it, if you want to continue feeding as much plain chicken meat as this.

(Felini Complete can be added to cooked meat) :-

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860

Royal Canin is not a particularly great food, no better really than Whiskas or Felix, but more expensive. I would consider feeding the kits some of the grain free, low carb, high meat protein foods from Zooplus, such as Granatapet, Animonda Carny, Bozita, Catz Fine Food, Feringa, Macs, Wild Freedom. There is a pinned thread on the Health & Nutrition forum listing all the good foods from Zooplus and giving the carb content. I'd go for foods that are 7% carbs or less, as cats do not need carbs.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

My two moggy girls were eating about 300 grams a day of wet food when they were 4 mths old, and about 450 grams at 7 mths old. But they were tiny kittens and have grown up to be small cats, as expected. So, 500 grams to 600 grams a day of wet food may not be such a lot for Maine Coon kittens, who are going eventually to be big cats.

I appreciate they are both eating more than 600 grams each at present, but as I say this may be due to the chicken being incomplete and the Royal Canin not being the best of foods.

There is no getting away from the fact that kittens do need a lot of food to supply their need for energy, and to help build strong bones. Have your kittens been wormed since you got them? This is usual best practice.

Jumping around through the night sounds like normal kitten behaviour to me! But if you have a nice vigorous interactive play session with them for a couple of hours during the evenings getting them running around and leaping, you should find they will sleep through the night.

#4 chillminx, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Soozi and Mainecoonmummy89 like this.
  5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Have you asked your breeder? She knows her kittens best

Soozi and Mainecoonmummy89 like this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Maine Coon Kittens eat a lot of food. In their first year they grow a lot, and quickly. They need to be on much better food than RC and boiled chicken, they need raw or a high protein wet food like Feringa, Meowing Heads, Cosma, MACS, or something similar with a 70%+ meat content.

Their eating usually slows down around 12 months, however they will continue to grow until around 4 years old.

7. Mainecoonmummy89

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for taking your time and for being so helpful!
    I'm genuinely so pleased to receive so much advice from you guys!

I'm going to check all the stuff from zooplus!!

The breader was feeding them just whiskas, which I thought was pretty bad.
    When we brought the home they were tiny, and spend a lot on the vets as oscar had conjunctivitis from day one. I tried feeding them meowing heads wet food- but they don't like it, appaws as well, same story.
    My draws are full of cat food at the moment, as we really tried to spoil these two as much as we could.But had no clue about zooplus, so I'll give it a try later on!
    Only Oscar eats dried food- meowing heads, but Loly doesn't touch it.
    We also have given them sardines twice a week, but those fit for human consumption, not the kitty ones.
    These two won't touch any cat treats but they'll go mad for tuna, sardines and the occasional slice of ham they've been getting

I'll definitely look into giving the raw food and will buy asap some vitamins and minerals.

Do you guys recommend also giving them salmon oil and taurine powder ?
    Ive read that its supposed to be part of their diet ? What about Chicken hearts?
    Its sounds awful, and can't imagine them eating it but some articles I've read couldn't emphasize more about chicken hearts and liver ?!

These are our first two babies, and MC so any advice is greatly appreciated. We are still learning everyday how to care for them...

Are your cats indoor cats or both ?
    I'm afraid of letting these go out as we are living right next to a big park and on a main road.
    They'll be chipped in 2 months, but I'm still scared as I've read that they aren't really street wise.
    What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you so much for all the advice.
    Ps Oscar is the dark one:):)
    Loly Is the silver one:):Angelic:)

Attached Files:

#7 Mainecoonmummy89, Aug 23, 2019
    AmsMam, oliviarussian, lea247 and 2 others like this.
  8. Mainecoonmummy89

She wasn't a nice lady at all. When we got Oscar he was sick from day one and when we contacted her, she pretended that she wasn't aware, even though the vet reckoned that he was left like that for weeks.
    We are not keeping in touch with her after that episode. Couldn't care about the money, but it really annoyed me to learn that she left Oscar suffer because she didn't want to spend money!

chillminx and Soozi like this.
  9. spotty cats

Oh dear. Have you reported her to the governing body? Selling sick kittens is usually against the code of ethics.

10. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Sounds like a byb

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Mainecoonmummy89 - they are gorgeous kittens! :)

As you live near a main road I definitely would advise never letting them out to roam. Cats and main roads do not mix well. It would be dreadful if one of your lovely cats was killed on the road! Also I think Maine Coons are usually not particularly street wise, from what I've read.

If you have a garden you could cat proof it with special fencing, as some of us have done. Or you could add a cat enclosure to the house which they could access from a cat flap on the back door. As long as they have never had the opportunity to roam they are likely to accept being confined to a garden or an enclosure.

There is a pinned thread on the Cat Chat boards which you may like to look at, on the subject of cat runs and cat proof gardens.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/

A couple of things about their food. Please don't introduce too many different new foods at once. Or you risk upset tummies or flat refusal to try any new foods. One new food every 3 weeks is more than enough.

And always introduce a new food slowly, a teaspoonful at a time on a separate dish to their usual (tried and tested) food. Persevere with a fresh spoonful every day of the new food for at least 3 days (but not indefinitely) so as to give them time to accept it.

By all means look into feeding them raw, but make sure you buy from a reputable company such as e.g. Luna and Me or Kiezebrink. Bear in mind that not all the meat mixes for cats will be complete and some will need certain supplements adding. e.g. extra calcium and extra taurine. Calcium must be balanced with phospherous.

If you want to continue feeding them cooked chicken as part of their diet, I suggest cooking it in the oven rather than boiling it as oven cooked will maximise the nutrients.

Use chicken legs or drumsticks as they contain more taurine than chicken breast. In a roasting pan place the chicken + 4cm to 5 cm of water to make stock. Cover tightly with baking foil and cook at gas mark 5 top shelf for one hour. Serve chicken off the bone but with the skin, and add some of the cooking stock to it as fluids.

You will need to add a completer as I mentioned. I wouldn't just buy any make of vitamins and minerals. Instead buy a product that has the correct amounts of vits + minerals approved by the manufacturers for adding to cooked meat. e.g. Felini Complete, so you can add the supplement to the chicken when they eat it.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860

Felini Complete contains enough taurine, but does not contain Omega 3. You can add it as salmon oil, which is very strong smelling and not all cats like it. I add krill oil to some of my cats food (not all of them like it) but I only add it to fishy foods..

Otherwise you can give your cats oily fish once or twice a week for the omega 3 content. Some of mine like canned sardines. Buy sardines in water, (Sainsbury's or Waitrose sell them) or oil, but never give them sardines in brine, far too high in salt. If you give them the ones in oil, choose olive oil but wipe most of the oil off with kitchen paper towel as too much oil will give them loose stools.

Tuna I would avoid, or only give very occasionally as it is high in heavy metals and run off pesticides. Tuna marketed for humans is too high in salt for cats to have more than a tiny bit.

Ham - only a very little, occasionally, because the salt content is too high for cats. Too much salt is bad for their kidneys.

Chicken hearts - they are quite hard and "chewy" raw, and were more acceptable to my previous cats when I cooked the hearts in a casserole in the oven. However none of my current cats like hearts at all. You could mince them and feed them raw perhaps. But if you are going to buy ready made raw it will contain offal such as hearts anyway.

#11 chillminx, Aug 23, 2019
    Mainecoonmummy89 likes this.
  12. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

If your feeding a complete food, whether wet, dry, or raw, they will have the appropriate amount of vitamins and taurine so you won't need to supplement.

Chicken heart was widely put forward as offal for some time, but it only puts out as much taurine as regular muscles as its a working muscle. Organs such as kidney and liver contain more taurine and are considered offal. Again, a complete diet won't require these, but you can give them as treats if you like. They pee out the excess taurine the body doesn't use.

I would not advise Maine Coons to go out. They're not the brightest bulbs in the box, and as they're very obviously pedigree they're likely to get stolen. Being such a friendly, outgoing breed, they're likely to try and get attention from people who may not be the nicest of characters. Better to keep them indoors, with a catio or catproofed garden. Make sure you've got lots of tall trees, toys, and interactive games like da bird or a laser pointer.

You can get them neutered at the same time as chipping, if they're not already done. Two birds, one stone :)

Reporting the breeder probably won't do much good - I doubt they are GCCF, and even if they are they do very little. TICA and FIFé will do even less. Main thing is to get them treated, on a good quality food, and you're sorted.

13. spotty cats

If they’re registered reports need to be made, repeated reports can’t be ignored. Of course if not registered it’s the buyers problem for not researching properly.

Mainecoonmummy89 and Rufus15 like this.
  14. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Yes, this is very true

15. Mainecoonmummy89

The kittens s parents were registered. I have the details. If I could do it based on that, I would report her.As for the breeder I only know her first name. She hasn't answered my calls since I told her that we've spent 300 euro treating Oscar.
    The cats are healthy now, that's all that matters to us. But I feel sad for all the other kittens she had, hopefully they are in good hands now.

16. Mainecoonmummy89

Rufus, thank you so much for all the helpful advice!
    Much appreciated !

17. Mainecoonmummy89

Chillminx , thank you so much for you advice!
    Genuinely overwhelmed by all the great advice I've received so far!
    This forum is fantastic, as I'm a complete newbie and I find it so confusing at times!
    Your help is much appreciated.

chillminx and huckybuck like this.
  18. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your MCs are beauties!!

First thing that jumps to my head - have they been wormed? That can make cats ravenously hungry and it sounds like the breeder may not have done that.

You may also need a course of worming if they haven't been done so I would speak to your vet asap.

Once you know they are clear of worms I would be feeding them as much as they want. I'm not a fan of raw but you can get some great wet food from zooplus such as Thrive. Canagan is good though too though you can't get it form ZP sadly. As others have said look for a high meat content if possible.

Having said all the above I am of the opinion that feed the best you can that they will eat and mostly wet if possible.

I have 4 MCs and Huck is the oldest at 13 - he has only ever eaten a diet of whiskas, sheba, felix etc along with a small amount of high meat content dry. He has just been given a clean bill of health at the vets.

Little H is my youngest at 4 and he has a diet of canagan and gastro dry food (with a 65% meat content) as he has suspected IBD. He's doing great as well.

Citruspips, chillminx and ewelsh like this.
  19. Mainecoonmummy89

Hello and thank you for your message.

Oscar and Loly have been worked and vaccinated three weeks ago, so I guess they are just kittens with a cat's appetite! :)
    We've bought today some real nature products, and we will try to introduce it slowly.
    Do you feed you MC any raw meat- like chicken breast for example?
    How do you manage 4?
    These two are like two ticking bombs all the time, they've wrecked our leather chairs, and sofa and they are so full of energy!
    Bought them two huge scratching posts and hopefully they'll use them instead of the chairs :-D
    Do you bathe your cats? Is it advisable?
    How about their coats? Do they change colour? Oscar looks dark but he has a white undercoat? Will that change?

Thank you.
    Regards

huckybuck likes this.
  20. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

My MC Rosso had hollow legs when he was a kitten, I used to give him a raw chicken wing about once a week and he loved that, also good for their teeth, it would keep him occupied for ages!

I’ve never bathed my boy cos he’s never needed it but it is good to get them used to grooming while they are young, so make sure you give them a good brush every day

Beautiful kittens by the way!

chillminx and Mainecoonmummy89 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice