Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help/advice needed camping on saturday

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by karen09, Aug 13, 2009.

1. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

Hi going camping with my westie mac on saturday for a week only done it so far for max two nights. He was ok apart from disappearing out of the tent by going out the gap between the ground sheet(that is attached to the tent) and the tent.

Can anyone suggest how to keep him in the tent without either tieing him up or leaving a lead on to get something to grab if you see him legging it.

he does have a stake for outside the tent, just dont know what to do to keep him inside without putting him in his crate which i just use as at home for at night or daytime when we arent going to be in.

he is 20 weeks old.

thanks for reading hope someone has some tips/advice

2. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

im sorry i cant really help ya,

though i can reccomend you take a fabric fold away crate?

3. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I would suggest a travel crate :)

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

5. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

6. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

thanks guys i said i had a crate in my first post, its so he can roam during the day like when he is at home.

he goes in his Crate at night and if i am not home, but he has escaped twice in three nights.

any more suggestions? please???????????????????

7. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

could he sleep in the car at night?

8. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

You could change your tent for one with a SIG (sewn in groundsheet), might be expensive though depends on the size of your tent.

A cheaper alterative is to puppyproof the tent by putting all your camping gear (boxes, your westies crate etc) around the edges of the tent to plug any gaps.

9. davehyde

davehyde Banned

ok crate him and when he is inside put something in front of the door so he cant escape. or even a small padlock round the wire just dont lose the key lol.

i'd have to crate mine if he was an ecapologist wouldnt want him getting out in strange territory.

or maybe use the tie out stake as well as the crate, might be a bit dodgy tho with a collar on whilst crated.

or even make someone else stay awake all night lol.

i am assuming you mean for at night.

#9 davehyde, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  10. nicola1980

nicola1980 PetForums Member

I don't know what you can do to stop him getting out of the tent but you could put windbrakers around your tent that way it will keep him by your tent and stop him runing all over the campsite (that's what we do).
    Can I just ask why you don't want to keep a long lead on him?

11. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

i havent got a long lead and the lead i have got gets tangled up.

will try putting the boxes, crate etc round the tent to try plugging up the gaps and see if that helps thanks guys.

i meant for day time he is no bother at night just goes straight in his crate he is normally tired.

will let you know how i get on but keep those tips coming

:D:D

12. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I think if he wants to get out he will find a way. If you have the crate in the tent why not pop him in there anyway when you are not around to supervise him. I would be worried in a campsite as it is much more open (is it fenced in and gated, or could he wander off onto a road), it is unfamiliar territory for him and therefore much more easily lost. From his point of view I cannot see the difference between staying in a crate and staying in a tent (unless you have a *5, enormous, super deluxe tent ;)

13. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

we have a large tent we could park the car in

14. PennyH

PennyH PetForums Senior

We use a puppy pen for our little ones during the day - it's great, but we have to keep an eye cos they can escape if they really want to!
    Enjoy yourself - we are off in our caravan tomorrow so will be "camping" with all 5 of ours.

15. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Why can't he sleep in his crate, like he does at home? If he's been experiencing new things all day on his holidays, he'll be so shattered at night you probably won't hear a peep from him. The crate will be his own little home from home space too.

Alternatively, do the sleeping compartments in your tent have sewn in groundsheets? He could sleep in there with you - but put the zips at the top, if he's anything like mine, he'll soon work out how to nuzzle the zip open if it's reachable!!

Edit; sorry, I missed one of your posts, you didn't mean at night time, sorry! I would use a long-ish lead tethered away from mischief. 4' or so. Keep an eye on him for getting his legs tangled too much, but otherwise just leave him

#15 alphadog, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice