Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Advice! Charlie's paw is swollen

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by SeaThreePeeO, Jul 4, 2009.

1. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

This evening we noticed that Charlie was limping on his left foot. I had a look and couldn't see anything stuck in his foot or any wounds. I gave it a good feel and a quick squeeze which he did not react to.

I put it down to rough play with his 'sister' Lola

His foot has now swollen to about twice it's normal size (no futher swelling for about and hour now), but there is still no pain reaction. I have phoned the vet's emergency number and have been advised to keep an eye on it for tonight and if no improvement take him in firt thing in the morning.

But what if anything can I do to help with the swelling and comfort?

2. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

hey hopes its nothing too serious just keep an eye on it, we tend to gently

stroke the paw they tend to relax with it, might make him feel a lil better,

other then that i would just keep an eye on it hopefully someone will be along

with some more ideas:)

SeaThreePeeO likes this.
  3. SeaThreePeeO

Thanks! He's having his pre bedtime nap at the moment on the back of the sofa purring away. I don't think he's in agony with the foot, but it looks horrible and uncomfortable.

I just worry that there's something I could be doing to help the situation.

4. SeaThreePeeO

Bump Bump!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could try a cold compress if he would tolerate it.

Usually 5 mins on, 5 mins off would be sufficient.

Could he have been stung? A couple of mine have been caught out bopping bees, and it often results in a swollen foot.

You can uses piriton in cats, but i wouldnt without speaking to your vet first.

SeaThreePeeO likes this.
  6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Is it possible that he has been stung? Mai Tai was stung the other day and her paw was like Charlie's sounds. It didn't seem to hurt her and by the next down was down to normal size. There was no sign of the sting in it. Hope Charlie is ok

SeaThreePeeO likes this.
  7. SeaThreePeeO

Thank you for your replies! I did use a pack frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel, for a while Charlie tollerated it and then became a wiggle bottom so I left it.

His foot is now normal size again this morning and he's acting as if it was never bothering him in the first place. So maybe he was stung by somthing. That was my first thought, but I ruled it out as I didn't see a sting.

We did have a bee caught in the kitchen that mysteroursly vanished before I could get a glass to trap it and let it out.

I shall keep and eye on his foot and any change for the worst and I shall take him straight to the vet. Little monkey, why can't he stay out of mischeif like his well behaved sister? lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice