Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help - 5 y/o sphynx acting strange

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Sphynxmumma, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Sphynxmumma

Sphynxmumma PetForums Newbie

I’m new to this site but I’m so worried about my baby.

Little bit of background, my cat is a 5 year old female Canadian sphynx. She had one litter when she was 2 and was spayed after that litter. She’s very friendly and chatty usually with a good appetite. I have 2 other sphynx (all 3 are house cats) and one small dog. All of them get on well and often all sleep in the same bed.

Today, she’s acted very strangely. She’s done this once before about a month or two ago.

She was sat on my lap cleaning herself and suddenly just got up and ran to the door and asked to leave the room like she normally does. I figured maybe she needed to use the litter box.

When I got up to open the door, she got very low down and made a strange meow. I got down on the floor and let her smell me to make sure she was alright and when I went to stroke her she made another strange high pitched meow. I opened the door, thinking maybe she really needed the loo, but she ran upstairs and hid under the bed.

I couldn’t persuade her out and she just looked really frightened. I left her alone for a while and got some treats for her. Usually she won’t eat any if she’s stressed (like when she’s having a bath). She was under the blanket on the bed when I went up to check on her again. She had the treats and was purring but she was still very low down and not her usual self. She’s been asleep ever since.

As I mentioned earlier, the same thing happened a little while ago. Me and my partner had been out for the day and when we got home, she was acting frightened like before. That time she wouldn’t eat any treats. She stayed in her bed for about two days then. She ate her dinner eventually but yeah , usually she loves her food.

Any advice would be very appreciated. I was away over the weekend but my partner was with her. I was thinking maybe it’s some kind of separation anxiety ? But I’ve been on holiday before and she’s not acted like this.

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Its always advisable to get a vet check with sudden unusual behaviour. The behaviour may be due to pain .Hiding and crouching can be symptoms of discomfort or pain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice