Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP.!!3 week old kittens,weeping eyes,nose???

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by saskia, Jun 27, 2009.

1. saskia

saskia PetForums Junior

My cat had 5 kittens 3 weeks ago, a couple of days ago i noticed 1 kitten had a stuck eye, i bathed it and guessed she had it scratched but another kitty. Then this morning i noticed both her eyes were stuck also another kittens eyes were stuck, again i bathed them and they all re-opened. Just checked again and another kitten appears to be getting weepy eyes, and the kitten i found with stuck eyes this morning now looks like he has a runny nose. Im really worried, what can this be, surely they all havent had their eyes scratched. Iv just rerurned from the vets with the mummy as she has had diarrhea and been given anti-biotics for her. (Although they couldnt find anything specific wrong with her.)Just as a precaution.
    Please help!!

x

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Sounds like cat flu - are they sneezing? Another visit to the vets I'm afraid.

3. saskia

saskia PetForums Junior

Yes, i think they are sneezing.
    How do they get this? and is it life threatening? Whats the treatment?
    Sorry so many questions, just really worried.
    xx

4. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Poor babies :(

It's caused by one of two viruses - feline herpes or feline calici virus. It is shed by the infected cats and passed on through contaminated toys, bowls etc. a healthy cat can crry the virus.
    The vet will probably give them anti biotics. Unfortunatly the virus stays with them and the runny eyes and nose may last a long time or come back during times of stress. You will need to sperate them from any other cats that you have.

I hope they are ok x

#4 bimbleweb, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

It is a virus, probably mum had it or another cat in the house had it and it has been passed on. Yes, it can be life threatening but rarely. They need to see a vet as they will need anti-biotics and possibly anti-biotic eye ointment. If their eyes aren't treated they could ulcerate and go blind (worse case senario). Keep their eyes and noses clean. Bathe them with cooled boiled water and cotton wool, a fresh bit of wool for each eye and nose. Do this as often as you need to. It can come back again in times of stress or they can shake it off. Good luck.

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

My cat had cat flu when she was a kitten too and she got over it really quickly and has been in top health ever since, she is 4 years now.

7. Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie PetForums Member

These viruses are unfortunately very common!

Many cats will recover on their own just like we would recover from a cold. But, if they are having a green/yellow discharge from the eyes or nose then it sounds like there is a bacterial component and antibiotics will be necessary.

Most cats that get these viruses recover in a few days to a few weeks and go on to live very normal healthy lives.

If they are congested and having difficulty breathing you may be able to give them some relief by putting them in the bathroom next to a steamy shower for 10 minutes a few times per day.

Hope they do oK!

Dr. Marie.
    Need cat help now? Contact Dr. Marie at www.askavetquestion.com

8. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Sticky eyes are quite common in very young kittens, but the sneezing and nasal discharge suggests flu and could be a problem if it thickens. As has already been said, they need antibs from the vet to help with that. The trouble with kittens that age is that if their noses become blocked then they can not suck properly, as they can't breath. If its a calici virus, that can also cause ulcers on their tongues too, which again will stop them feeding as they can be painful.

Do you weigh the kittens every day? If you do if they start to lose weight, then you may have to take over their feeding until they can suck from themselves again.

9. Carmela

Carmela Banned

When i got my kitten off of the breeder she had Cat Flu, I have an advice page if you want to take a read it has a few tips i found very handy! Hope kitties are ok. But most importantly get to the vets for the antibiotics!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice