Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP!! 2 year cocker has turned into Jekyll and Hyde :-(

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Chezza79, May 20, 2010.

1. Chezza79

Chezza79 PetForums Junior

We have been in Spain for almost 3 weeks and have our 2 year old Cocker Spaniel with us. Over the past few months she has had a fair bit of disruption in her life because we moved from the UK and have now begun travelling in a motorhome which she has adapted well to over the last 4 weeks until now.

In the past she has sometimes become obsessive with her food which we managed to sort the problem out but over the last 5 days now the behaviour has started again where she has become very protected of her food and will not allow my partner to feed her and she starts barking at him in a very concerning manor. The problem has also escalated at bed time, she lives in the motorhome with us and as soon as my partner goes up to bed the barking starts again and she becomes very angry.

This behaviour is very upsetting and we really do not know where it has come from. She really is like Jekyll and Hyde at the moment. Such a sweet little dog during the day and is fine with my partner, she is also happy to take a piece of apple from him but as soon as it comes to her dinner time she becomes a different dog but only towards my partner as if she has suddenly become scared of him.

Has anybody else experienced such a thing or anybody can give some advice. I understand that her daily routine has been changed and the environment is completely different but we do not know where this unwanted behaviour has come from and how to deal with it.

If anybody has some advice as to what we should do I would be more than grateful.

Kind Regards,
    Chezza

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

She's obviously had lot to deal with lately so is likely to be unsettled.
    What is she currently fed on, has this changed? What happens when she barks at your partner, how do you both react? How does she calm down?
    When she is getting aggressive around her food, what exactly does she do?
    Does she spend time on her own in the day? or does she have contact iwht both you & your partner equally?
    Sorry, I can't offer too much advice at the moment but thought I'd try & bump this up fdor you as you must have quite alot on your plate what with your move!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice