Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Hartpop, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Hartpop

Hartpop PetForums Newbie

E09F8EA8-BD1E-43E5-A557-7A867F24256D.jpeg Hi there!

My name is Lex, I‘m 34 and I live in Edinburgh, Scotland and I have two Bengal cats - Samson and Pacha. Samson’s the large snowy one and Pacha is the small dark brown one. I’ve had Samson since he was a kitten and he’s a little over 2 years old now. Pacha’s 9 but I’ve only had her for just under a year. It was never planned, I’ve always actually had lazy older cats who aren’t very energetic so winding up with two Bengals is quite the adventure!

I thought I’d join this forum as I often have queries and would love to see how other Bengal owners experience life with their furry friends!

A little bit about the cats:

I rehomed Samson while he was still a kitten, the people who bought him from the breeders also adopted his father who was a newly retired stud thinking it would be cute to have a father and son pair but, cats being cats, they weren’t getting along and they decided to rehome Samson as he was still a kitten (although his name was Blizzard then and I hated it, so I named him after the Regina Spektor song of the same name). It was just us for about a year, he was as playful as you’d expect a Bengal kitten to be, but as I live alone, I thought he’d be happier with a friend while I’m at work and I had considered getting another kitten for a while, but then one of the bouncers at my work (I’m a venue manager) was talking about his cat and how she’s probably not going to have any more kittens because she got sepsis in her nipple with the last litter. He then very casually told me how he has a male and female Bengal pair who he essentially breeds and sells their kittens because they’re expensive. But him and his ex had broken up and she’d taken the boy cat and left him with Pacha, and said that he can’t stand her coz she’s so loud and annoying. This, as you would imagine, infuriated me and I asked if I could meet her. When I met her she wasn’t mistreated but she was very much ignored and despite being very affectionate and hesitantly playful, I could tell she just needed a good home. So I told him that I was taking her and that that was the end of the discussion, he reluctantly agreed and she’s been with me ever since

At first it took a while but they appear to be friends now. I say appear because they have a very tempestuous relationship sometimes but they’re comfortable with each other. I think he just annoys her as he’s always in play mode and she’s not to be messed with. She’s not been spayed (I had her appointment booked but then Covid affected my vet clinic so I’m waiting for a reschedule, although I’m finding it less necessary to spay her now as she doesn’t seem as uncomfortable as she did at first when she was in heat, but I think it’ll be better for her health in the long run) but he is neutered so it’s not too dramatic having them both living together. She does tend to confuse him when she’s in heat though and he’s drawn to her without really understanding why. Bless him.

anyway, I look forward to chatting with everyone in the future. Hope my tale hasn’t bored you all!

Lex E09F8EA8-BD1E-43E5-A557-7A867F24256D.jpeg

2. Jim40

Jim40 PetForums Member

Hello. Welcome to the petforums. I'm sure you'll be made most welcome. Cat section as well.

Hartpop likes this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Hi lex and welcome to Petforums. beautiful cats !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice