Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SirYamalot, Nov 27, 2012.

1. SirYamalot

SirYamalot PetForums Newbie

Hi there

Im new to the forum and thought id introduce myself. Having just setup home me and the missus are now getting a long awaited dog... possibly the worst decision for a newly decorated house!... but im clumsy myself so it wouldnt be too long til coffee ended up on the new couch anyway. We were originally going to get a cat, but sadly my missus mum's cat (Maraduke) was recently run over and passed away in a horrific condition. This made us question getting a cat ourselves as we do have a very busy main road only 2 mins from our house and my missus was distraught with what happened to Maraduke and did not want to again go through the worry of him missing, wondering where he was and experiencing the worst. Thus after a couple months thinking we are now going to get a dog, as we can control who, where and what a dog interacts with, unlike a cat that pretty much does and goes where it wants.

We have viewed a Chihauhau and put down a deposit for picking up in December :) already named as Pepper Potts (im an Avengers fan).

This is where I need some advice from the wisdom of the forum, we are both at work 5 days a week (who cant afford "not" to work in this climate?!). We have alot of room in our house and are currently turning a room into a dog proofed room... bascially Pepper gets her own room, room size is around 3M x 3M area floor space. During the day she will be in there and there will be food, water and toys... doggy bed, blanket and a Rascal Box litter tray for her to do the business (with some trainning of course), plus a TV left on for back ground noise. Also Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday a Dog Career will be coming over for 45 mins each day (around 1pm) to feed and interact with her. On Wednesday's my missus mum does not work and will be looking after Pepper all day til we come home. At night we plan to crate Pepper in our room. Just after your opinions of this plan?

Many thanks
    SirYamalot

P.S I also own Reptiles, a Chameleon, Blue Tongued Skink and Crestied Gecko.

#1 SirYamalot, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum!

3. Train A Puppy

Train A Puppy PetForums Junior

Hi and Welcome,

It sounds good that your little chihauhau will not be left alone all day every day.
    Leaving him for a maximum of four hours a day is acceptable if it can't be avoided, and the lunch time visits will ensure this.

You have picked one of the best dogs for leaving unattended, as Chihuahuas (being small) need less regular exercise than other bigger dogs. And it sounds like you have plenty to keep her entertained!

You may want to try leaving the crate in the same room she is left in all day, but leave it open for her so she can seek comfort if she feels she needs to.

Best of luck with the settling in process, and let us know how you get on :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice