Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello please I need advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ZoeMisty, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ZoeMisty

ZoeMisty PetForums Newbie

Hello
    Me and a friend got a cat together he is 7 months 2 weeks he has lived in my home since a kitten and I love him to bits. We share him but the lady had him bought for her as she named the cat after her Dad as he passed away. We both went to get him she didn't have a home then and lived at her sisters. She said to me we can be both his Mummy and wrote it down as an agreement. I love him and I have paid for flea drops food and other things. I'm very scared she will change her mind as she has been giving me negative feedback of late and she was cross with me as he was tired and she said she didn't like him being tired. She also teases me about things. I'm starting to feel uncomfortable. Has anyone experienced this situation before and do I have any legal protection for him to stay with me. I'm very scared she will have him on her day and not give him back as shes been late a few times in returning him Thnkyou

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @ZoeMisty, if you and your friend agreed to be joint owners of the kitten then neither you or your friend has the right to keep him without the agreement of the other one. But if your friend defaults on the arrangement all you could do would be to sue her in the Small Claims Court. But the Court may find in favour of the kitten remaining with your friend. It's impossible to predict.

I must say, I am concerned about your kitten. It doesn't sound at all like an ideal situation for him to be swapped back and forth between the two of you, as though you're having a game of Pass the Parcel! :(

Kittens and cats thrive on a regular routine, a familiar environment, and continuity of care. Your kitten's routine is not regular because he is constantly having to adjust to living in 2 different homes with different people. It might not be so bad if you were going with him every time he had to move house, because at least he would have continuity of care.

While it is true that cats are very adaptable creatures, I think it would be better if he had a proper home where he could settle down and feel a bond with his environment. Another concern is that if he ever became unwell, the early signs could be missed while he is being passed to and fro between the two of you.

Can you not agree that one of you keeps the kitten, and the other one adopts their own kitten? The Cat Rescues will be full of gorgeous kittens soon.

#2 chillminx, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    NFC slave, Soozi, Saffy Cat and 3 others like this.
  3. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Member

Zoe - Can I ask why you got a cat between you?

Is the cat microchipped? If so whose name and address is he registers to?

With such a young kitten, I hope you have him registered with a vet? Who pays for that, and of you have insurance whose name is it in?

As chillminx has said, this probably wasn’t the most sensibility arrangement - he cat needs a single home, and someone who will take full responsibility for his needs.

Summercat likes this.
  4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@ZoeMisty
    Hi,
    If I understood correctly, the other person does not currently have a home but she borrows the cat from time to time?
    A cat as said, is best in a stable home with all their needs taken care of.

The lady as you say teases you and complains if the cat is tired? Cats do need to sleep a lot, that is normal.
    Where does she take him on her days, do you know?

NFC slave and Scouttie like this.
  5. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

A cat should have a fixed home. It sounds like a ridiculous situation. Either one of you should keep him or he needs to be rehomed to a more stable environment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice