Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello & Introduction

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jocky San, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Jocky San

Jocky San PetForums Junior

Hello everyone. I was going to post this in the "Introductions" section so I hope I'm not OT by posting here, but since it's about dogs I thought this was a better place!

After a long, long, long period of consideration, and alot of pressure from both my boys and finally my wife, we took the plunge and got a dog last week. I've been reading the fixed posty here about getting a new dog, and this was something we thought about for a long time. After a family debate involving many different breeds including huskies, corgis, beagles, spaniels, labradors and alsations we narrowed it down.

Key requirements were as follows: non-agressive dog with high tolerance for children and a strong desire to be a part of a family, good guarding/watching instincts for security and companionship for my wife (I travel alot), moderate exercise requirements, and modest-low slobbering and shedding.

After alot of discussions with friends, many of whom have dogs, we decided on a Swiss Mountain dog. Quite a few people think we're mad, and frankly, I think we might be.

We collected our pup - now named Isla - on Thursday. After a stressful journey home, she is settling into the family.

Her first night in her crate was a nightmare. She whined for 15 minutes, which went up to full blown yelping, then after a further 15 minutes went silent. Suspicious, and knowing we could not have cracked it on her first night, I crept downstairs and the whiff confirmed a problem. I switched on the lights and went in to find her shivering at one side of her crate with a proper poojob all over the other side. Got her out, got her calmed down, got her cleaned up, and cleaned her crate out and gave her a new blanket. Amazingly she went back in, and when I locked her door, she went off to sleep after about 15 minutes of whining. Slept all night and was super-happy to see us the next morning! Friday night she was off to sleep after about 15 minutes of whining, and had a problem-free night. Last night she was fine, but had peed by the morning.

During the day, she's generally been a joy. She's pooping and peeing 50% of the time outside - we are learning the signs rapido - and being a pup her stuff is quite small. She alternates between sleeping heavily, and bursts of energy. She's on about 3 - 4 proper naps a day at the moment. She tends to follow me around, and will lie down behind me, under my feet, or just in front of me. Whenever I get up, she wakes, gets up and follows me, lying down again. Finally she'll wander off and either go into her cage, or curl up by the dishwasher... seems to be her favourite spot as we all work around the kitchen sink.

Only real problem at the moment is that she's s *very* mouthy. We're hoping that this is going to be a short-term problem. When she's excited she just can't help it. We're trying the stop and ignore method when she does it, so we'll see how that works. But we need to sort it because it will not be acceptable when she gets bigger - and we all know she will get ALOT bigger.

Puppy classes start on Wednesday, with basic behaviour training. We need to crack this early, as again she will be more difficult to manage once she's bigger - especially for my wife and the boys. We'll supplement with some 1-on-1 sessions if we need to.

She's happy skipping around in the yard, and loves to play. I understand these breeds can't be over-exercised, so the garden is fine at the moment. She eats everything - and that's nerve-wracking. Snails and slugs all over our garden, so I am hoping the Drontyl works.

Today we saw a burst of energy unlike anything we've seen so far. But as we're only on day 4 I guess we have a lot of stuff still to see.

We're still very apprehensive about how we're going to do this, and are quite scared of ending up with a rowdy dog. But I think training, time, consistency, a lot of care, should see us okay. She seems to have a lovely nature, but at 11 weeks old, we have a lot to come.

Any tips, comments, advice or anything else is welcome. I will be posting a lot of questions as we go along. At some point I hope I can share my experiences with new pup owners and help them out.

Wish me luck... off to take her outside in hope of a "performance"...

Jock

Isla.JPG

Sharonloumac likes this.
  2. Canine K9

Canine K9 Bailey Woof

Hello and welcome, she looks lovely and you seem like you're doing a good job with her :) My (now 4.5YO) dog was awful for mouthing as a puppy. His favorite thing to do was to latch onto my ankle and rag it! He did eventually grow out of it and now he has brilliant bite inhibition, which is something you want with kids, so a mouthy puppy is not necessarily a bad thing! :)

She's only a puppy, so she is bound to be full of energy :) I'm sure if you put the groundworks in and keep up with training and socialization whilst she is only young (a good puppy class sounds great) she'll be fine :)

3. Jocky San

Jocky San PetForums Junior

Yes, that's her worst behaviour at the moment... when she gets playful, and sees the a loose trouser leg, she's after it. She latches on and seems to get stuck and can't get her teeth out. We'll keep going, but will be glad to see her grow out of it. Right now, she is attacking a bouncy plastic bottle like there's no tomorrow.

4. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

Ruby does that too, but only to my dad's trousers! She'll run after him as he leaves the room and try and grab his trouser leg when she's in an excitable mood. What I've done since day one is if she goes for my ankles or legs I stop still and go 'ah-ah' in a sharp tone and offer her an appropriate toy to tug on, and I think I've done it consistently enough that now she very rarely does it to me, and when she does as soon as I say it she stops. Wellies are also good anti-ankle biters! :D

Ruby is also a fan of plastic water bottles, we have large empty ones that she pushes around the house and bites at but she makes a huge noise while playing with them since we have wooden floors, but it keeps her happy and occupied. :p It sounds like you're doing really well though! You'll both be fine I'm sure.

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Very pretty pup and it sounds like you're off to a great start.
    I think it helps house-training if you get up once or twice in the night to take them outside. You soon get into the habit and it gets it into pup's mind that toileting happens outside. They shouldn't be forced to try to hold on all night when their mechanisms are so poorly developed.
    Watch out for frantic nipping, playing, zooming. It can be a sign of over-tiredness. When that happened with my pups, I'd put them in crates in a quiet, dark room and they'd quickly go to sleep, then wake up later with all their sweetness restored.

6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

She looks adorable, and you have picked a beautiful name for her. They are really beautiful dogs I think.

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and [​IMG] to You and Isla

She a baby and they do tend to mouth a lot and big puppies hurt I've been there:D let her know she is hurting you give a small yep when she's doing it. Attract her with a toy let her know it's OK to bit that.

She may even be teething, we use to get old tea towels ripped into strips tie a knot in them and freeze, they become hard (but not to hard to hurt they gums) and cooling to bit on. I still, If remember do this in the hot weather to help cool Dillon down even if he is 7 years old.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice