Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello, interested in lost and found pets

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by woodstockbitten, Dec 13, 2007.

1. woodstockbitten

woodstockbitten PetForums Newbie

Hi, I know we're all animal lovers here. As ther owner of a cat who has been missing for more than two years, I'd really like other people's ideas of positive action that might be taken to help increase the chances of people being reunited with their missing pets. (Microchipping and responsible pet ownership are important but not the whole story.)
    Vets Get Scanning has one good idea (though vets need to get scanning cats too -- see My Moggy); Dog Theft Action and My Moggy both have scanner appeals, another good idea; Dog Theft Action has a link to another good idea which is Jester's Law (which again ought to be extended to cats).
    I'd also like to see something done to help to rationalise the proliferation of online national lost and found pet registers.
    Any ideas on any of this would be appreciated!

2. Magik

Magik Guest

Hi,

If all cats and dogs were microchipped and vets checked them on every visit it would reduce this problem massively!!! And it would not cost the vet a penny to do this.. it's 10 seconds of their time!

a good website for people losing their dogs is DogLost.co.uk Helping Reunite Lost Dogs with their Owners

3. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum - I also agree if vets scanned our pets at every visit etc it would help a great deal.

4. shelterhelp73

shelterhelp73 PetForums Newbie

You check out a site called HelpMeFindMYPET - Home they are a pretty proactive service that sends out alerts via email to Shelters, Rescues, Vets, Municipalities, and Members. This site also provides the proper registration and contact information for your pet. Helpmefindmypet.com also provides a free service to any organization that scans lost pets. Once this organization scans the pet and retrieves the chip number they call helpmefindmypet.com and their representative’s calls and tracks down the pet parents for the organization. I think this is pretty cool and finally a company that actually helps when your pet is missing. Check it out HelpMeFindMYPET - Home

5. PatioDogDoors

PatioDogDoors PetForums Member

Welcome to the forum

nice site. and it really helpful

6. woodstockbitten

Thanks to those who agree that getting vets to scan is a good idea (and I hope everyone's signed the petition at Vets Get Scanning (vetsgetscanning.co.uk) and posted comments at MyMoggy (mymoggy.com), and has written to their vets to find out whether they do this -- remind them that scanning all animals seen for the first time is BSAVA and RCVS good practice -- and to try to persuade them to if they don't). I'll have a petition Vets Get Scanning Cat Too available online for signing in the next couple of weeks so hope you'll all sign!
    Vets do point out that proper scanning takes a little longer than 10 seconds (because microchips, especially badly implanted ones, do wander) -- but they should be doing this even if it takes a whole couple of minutes!
    Thanks for the tip on HelpMeFindMyPet (and I know already DogLost is a great site).
    I agree microchips are the key -- but how to spread the word (and not just to pet owners but to pet finders? Allegedly stray cats get `adopted' and the finder makes a token effort to find the owner but never thinks to have it scanned)?

7. woodstockbitten

Hello, I think I've just realised that this may be an American site -- I'm in the UK. Anyway HelpMeFindMyPet is American. But that's OK, I expect we Brits have a lot to learn from you guys.

8. Magik

Magik Guest

no this is UK forum and majority of people on here are from Uk. And we have nothing we can learn from the Yanks!

9. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

LOLOLOLOLOL :D

10. woodstockbitten

For all UK pet lovers: I now have a petition online called `Vets Get Scanning Cats Too'. It expans the scope of the Vets Get Scanning petition from dogs to all microchippable animals, particularly cats. You can sign online by clicking on: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/881958718. The original petition (dogs only) already has 10,000+ signatures. Let's see if we can equal that! Happy Christmas to all you pet lovers. Katherine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice