Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello, I'm new to all this!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Waldo78, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Waldo78

Waldo78 PetForums Newbie

Just new to all this but have a very strong feline family, will be asking a few questions to all you experienced out there, looking for a good dry cat food for my cats, at the moment they are on barking meow but I am not sure this is good for them, was thinking of trying porta 21 finest dry and carny wet what do you all think? Wallace my youngest his father which was a Maine coon died nearly a year ago this January with HCM, we thought to have Wallace tested for the gene but decided against it knowing what he would face whether he has the disease or not, the vet has told us to increase his taurine levels, read about feeding him chicken hearts or substituting his meals with a taurine supplement, not sure which is best?? We also have daisy who is overweight due to scrounging every1 else's meals�� and kitkat who has FLUTD which is under control, ozzy and Mitchell are the only ones with nothing wrong with them, so need an all round good food for every1's needs if possible, any ideas would be really appreciated as going on what others say for food ideas but everyone has different preferences!!

2. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum!

3. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

Not sure if OP will come back or not, but just in case:

Dry food isn't great for cats, sure they love it but we love McDonald's and cake, it doesn't mean we should eat it every day!

Wet food often has more taurine in them than dry and are better for your cats hydration - cats aren't obligate drinkers as they get most of their fluid from their food. If you feed dry, they'll not get in much fluid!

Most people on here find zooplus.co.uk a great site for the good quality (and not so good quality) food. Take a look in the Cat Section as there's loads of food info in there.

Finally, if your cat's dad was positive for HCM, I would be concerned about what sort of 'breeder' he was gotten from and why he was allowed to mate himself. It's ringing massive alarm bells in my head.

Anyway, HTH.

4. Waldo78

Waldo78 PetForums Newbie

We use zoo plus all the time and a local pet food supplier for our barking meow which isn't on zoo plus yet, like to support british companies, before that all my cats were on techni-cal again another food not on zoo plus, when we got Dylan our Maine coon I was young and naive, the mum had been caught so he was more of a cross, didn't know anything about HCM until he fell ill 1 night and by the next afternoon was put to sleep as his lungs were filled with fluid and there was nothing the vet could do, his son Wallace has shown no sign of the disease as yet but I am paranoid it will come, so if there is anything I can do to help I will, pay for the food, put him on a raw diet, anything as I do not want him to go through the same pain and suffering Dylan did, it was awful, I am reading all the post's I can but it's difficult due to there being lots of info everywhere, it's a shame there wasn't direct links to threads about individual subjects, but I am persevering.

5. TheMouse

TheMouse Banned

Hi be very careful about what people post on here in regards to pet food.

For example, the above poster said sweepingly that wet food contained more taurine than dry food. This is false! Go to Fab cats site for fantastic and CORRECT info on cat diets, and special diets needed for certain health conditions. You sound like you are already pretty tuned up and informed in regards to cat diet. And welcome, two newbies together.

6. TheMouse

TheMouse Banned

This site won't let me post a link so the site I was referring to is fabcats.org.

7. Waldo78

Waldo78 PetForums Newbie

Well after reading post after post after post and there is a lot:confused: I have decided on porta21 grain free for there 30-40g of dry per day and I have decided on animonda carny 2 different taster packs and a smilla taster pack for wet, I am also going to use gimpet paste's for extra vitamins and gimpet schnurries for taurine🐱🐾🐈 and for their new litter I am going to try best oko plus cat letter instead of Asda wood litter, not that they use their litter trays as they go out to do their business most of the time, apart from in the winter when I feel they are too lazy to go out for any reason😿, I will let you know how they get on. Anymore advice please leave me a message, Wallace has his vet check next week and we will know if he has to go and get HCM tests😪. I also want to know people's opinions on cat grass as I want an outdoor grass area on my decking for them, can I add any herb to it?? I've heard sage or parsley is good but not sure😕!

8. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

I really think you would be better going to the car section as you'll really not get good answers to your questions here.

Do you mind if I ask why you won't change the diet to completely wet?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice