Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello haven’t been here for a while but would like advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Helen&megan, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Helen&megan

Helen&megan PetForums Junior

hi just wanted to asked if anyone has changed vet as not happy their as i feel uncomfortable .
    Megan had a lot of tummy trouble in the past which turned out to be prantits (sorry spelt Wrong) and had to keep going back after it was confirmed if she showed sighs of it I would go get her checked so she wasn’t in pain Now feel like they don’t think I’m a good owner and thinking of changing vet as nervous to take her and everything put down to her nervous. Wondering if I would be better to changed but worried what they put in notes just would like some advice

#1 Helen&megan, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I think if you lose confidence in your Vet, or find it hard to strike up any sort of rapport, then that’s as good a reason as any to change.

I don’t know that a Vet is allowed to put any comments in the records about the owner, just the dog’s medical details.

3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't hesitate to change if I wasn't happy. I always request certain vets at my surgery. Your paying a lot you should be happy with the service.

4. Ochre

Ochre PetForums Junior

A good vet is someone who should be supportive and you can trust completely. It sounds like you have had some bad experiences and so I definitely agree you should change. Why don't you arrange to visit a few local surgeries, talk to them, explain your situation and then choose the one you liked the best and feel would work with you to help your dog?

You say you are also concerned about the information that your current vet may pass on to a new vet? Due to the data laws that we have, you can request a copy of all the information that your current vet holds on you and your dog - to include all of the case notes. That way you can see exactly what is written. Normally when you change vets, the records are emailed over to the new practise, so by requesting the records in advance, you can see what will be sent to your new vet. Obviously if you have any concerns about what is in those notes, you can raise that with the Practise Manager and they are obliged to take all complaints very seriously.

5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I havent changed my dogs' vet but i did change vets for my guinea pigs - i think they fully understood why when they stressed one of my pigs so much, he died in my arms at the vet. I still go there for my dogs and i did trust them to put one of my very ill pigs to sleep in May but they know fine well they wont get near my pigs for treatment. There's no hard feelings, we still all get on well. I think they would admit they arent experts on guinea pigs and i definitely dont get the feeling they have put anything in my records. I was upfront that i had changed vet for my pigs, they updated the record and no more was said. All very professional.

Amanda Mower, Agandl and Helen&megan like this.
  6. Helen&megan

Thank you very much everyone for your advice . I am grateful how they looked after Megan just don’t comfortable their as feel they think I’m a bad owner as I felt I was doing the right thing by getting her checked as felt Guilty about how much pain she must been in before with her condition. Especially being my first dog wanted to go things right. Megan get stressed going to vet and needs to see some person but it been mainly locums so will deffently think things through a bit more and look around. Hope peopleDon’t mind me posting .

tabelmabel likes this.
  7. Ochre

Ochre PetForums Junior

Always go with your gut instinct. If it doesnt feel right, then change vet to someone who you trust and will take your concerns seriously. If continuity of care matters to you (it certainly does to me), then find a vet who is of a similar mindset to you. There are some wonderful vets out there - you just need to find the right one in your area :)

I wish you well in your search for a new vet.

kimthecat and tabelmabel like this.
  8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Has your Vet actually done anything wrong or given you cause for concern?

Or, are you saying that you're happy with the treatment your bitch has received, but for some reason, you feel your Vet sees you as a bad owner?

Why do you believe so?

LinznMilly and Linda Weasel like this.
  9. Helen&megan

It little comments that was said is proberbly me being extra sensitive because I want to be a good dog parent. The treatment has been good it just that they tend to focus on her nerves and behaviour more then what I’m concerned with and the locum was quite rough with her. That’s why I need to take time and think about what best for my fur baby

10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I had a similar experience with a locum vet I was quite upset and felt Loki had been handled roughly I always check who I'm seeing now.

11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, if you want what is best for your 'fur baby', then if your Vet has promptly diagnosed and treated her condition, she's in good hands.

What do you mean when you say the Locum was rough with her?

Don't forget Vets have to be confident when handling dogs.

12. Helen&megan

that’s why I’m in 2 minds about changing. Just don’t feel comfortable
    The locum forced her to lay down even when she was showing how uncomfortable she was about it. Just felt It was a bit much to check her ear

As I said I want to do what best for her

13. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Are you able to choose which vet you see when it's not an emergency?

My OH had to change from the surgery who had saved his dogs life after 12 years with them because he no longer knew who he was seeing from visit to visit and some just didn't understand the condition at all.
    He changed to a two vet surgery where he could always choose vet in a non emergency situation.
    I don't think anyone can choose a vet in an emergency

kimthecat likes this.
  14. Helen&megan

The vets Only has the main vet and the locum. But you don’t get a choice. The main vet has been good with her but a couple of comments made me feel uncomfortable. Was wondering if to speak to him about it first. As I said it proberbly me over worrying about it like I normally do. But last few times it been the locum doing her booster

15. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Sometimes, firm handling is needed, depending on the dog.

I have 2 dogs. Murphy who has painful hips loves going to the vet, stoic as they come. Holds lovely and steady for injections and even when they check for hip pain, he is very tolerant.

Tilly - mrs pathetic!

Slightest thing and she is off the table!

She needed an injection earlier this year and even 3 people couldnt hold her steady. She is a writhing ball of muscle. Slippery as an eel, strong as an ox.

The vet took a very firm approach - yelled right in her face. Tilly froze with surprise and the jag went in.

So last week, when i took her for her booster jags, they took her through the back and i dont know how they did it but she was back within 30 seconds all done.

In that sort of situation, vets do just need to crack on. It is up to me really to train tilly to be able to hold steady. I wasnt upset at all by the way they did it - they had to. I would have physically held her still myself if i could have, but she was too strong.

Do you think your dog would have co operated with a gentle ear exam?

At the end of the day, if you arent happy, then do change vet but have a think about what you want from a vet - sometimes just a friendly manner can make a world of difference. Sometimes, something as simple as a vet that says "look, i need to examine this ear. It might hurt so i am going to hold her down so i can get it done quickly. Would you like to watch or would you rather stand out"

If your dog is anything like my Tilly, firm handling might be kinder and quicker. Tilly is even objects to the slightest hair tug when i am combing her ears. She is getting better but she is not going to be holding steady at the vet any time soon i dont think.

And, for her, a change of vet would make no difference.

16. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

If you aren't happy then change, but we can be over-sensitive with our own dogs when they are unhappy. Remember vets see different pets day in, day out. They are generally great with handling different temperaments and scared dogs and over excited dogs. Our own dogs can play up when we are around too, at work we get asked to cut nails because the dogs play up at home, when with us they stand still and let us do it absolutely fine.

17. Helen&megan

Thank you again for all your advice I think I’m just being over sensitive and over protective of Megan. I’m very grateful to everyone for the advice

rona and tabelmabel like this.
  18. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Yes. Ive changed vets before . We are lucky we have several here .
    One large surgery had too many young vets inexperienced in small animal and bird care so i changed to another smaller surgery .

rona and tabelmabel like this.
  19. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I usually ask for the vet I want when I take my dog to the vet. Funny story about that, other dog is due a booster and she never has to see the vet so not worried which vet we see. Then I decided Candy needs to get her lungs checked and so I changed the 2 appointments to when my normal vet is on. The receptionist and I joked that any vet could check her lungs and say they sounded bloody awful but only her usual vet could say they sound bloody awful but not different from last time.

20. Helen&megan

Thank you for all your advice Megan is my first dog and just want to do everything right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice