Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello from the RSPCA!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by GemmaRSPCA, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GemmaRSPCA

GemmaRSPCA PetForums Junior

Hello everyone, just thought I'd pop on and say hi.

My name's Gemma and I'm going to be posting from the RSPCA. I’m really passionate about animal welfare and I love all animals, although I've got a massive soft spot for greyhounds!

I'm looking forward to chatting to everyone and getting to know you!

Best wishes,
    Gemma

2. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

3. Fenris

Fenris PetForums Junior

Well Gemma, I might have believed that you were here because of a genuine love of animals as opposed to putting in some time as a damage limitation officer for HQ had you not been busy posting exactly the same intro elsewhere:

Bearded Dragon . org • View topic - Hello from the RSPCA!

Just how much money is HQ losing that this becomes necessary? Hmmm?

4. coco loco

coco loco PetForums Newbie

Hi Gemma I love animals too, how long have you worked for RSPCA?? What do you do?? Are they good to work for?? How do you get to work for them??

5. ellsbells0123

ellsbells0123 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome.

6. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

Hello and....good luck :D

7. canine

canine PetForums Member

Fenris I don't understand your post. Surely the same could be said about any of us. I also post on 'professional pet sitters and dog walkers' forum, NarpsUK forum, 'dog lovers' forum so what does that say about me? :confused1:

8. canine

canine PetForums Member

OOPS. Sorry hello Gemma and welcome. I couldn't do your job as I find it so difficult when I see any cruelty at all.

9. Nagini

Nagini Guest

seems gemma is only targeting reptile forums at the moment , which is making a few peeps suspicious so it seems. as a keeper i am well aware of the RSPCA`s stance regarding the keeping of exotics.

10. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Hi Gemma and welcome. Nice to have you on board should we ever need advice or have concern about an animal being cruelly treated. I'm not bothered that you post on other forums, all of us need advice occasionally and who better to give it eh?

11. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

12. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Hello Gemma, welcome. ( I dont care where you post.) I hope you enjoy your time on the forum.

13. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

Hello, welcome (belatedly) to pf :)

14. HeartofClass

HeartofClass PetForums VIP

This sure seems a bit odd to me, I have to say.

15. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

A spokesperson from the RSPCA on here - in fact, a Digital Communications Officer, no less. Well, now, this promises to be interesting. :ihih: :ihih:

#15 Spellweaver, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  16. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome to pf. :D

17. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome
    So what are you going to tell us about the RSPCA. Most of us have our own views on how its run but i am sure we would welcome your views on what happens and why.
    I did some volunteering years ago and was disgusted with the policies they have with euthenising healthy dogs to make more room in the rehoming centre. The people that had given their dogs up to be rehomed would not have thought in a million years that it would be put to sleep in a few weeks if it was not pretty enouph to find a new owner.

Sorry to start on a down note but had to get it off my chest so you know where i stand.

18. GemmaRSPCA

GemmaRSPCA PetForums Junior

Hi all!

@new westie owner, @ellsbells0123, @Tapir, @jetsmum, @springerpete, @delca1, @superash - thanks so much for your kind welcomes :)

@coco loco - hello! I've been at the RSPCA for just under 18 months now. I'm their Digital Comms Officer so I basically look after their Facebook, Twitter, Youtube profiles... there's never a dull moment. It's a really nice place to work, with lots of passionate, dedicated people - although it can be tough as you're constantly aware of all of the bad things that happen to animals. The plus side is knowing you work for a really amazing, worthwhile organisation - and having dogs in the office is a big bonus too! In terms of how I came to be here... I've always loved animals and wanted to work for the RSPCA since I was a very young kid (probably about 4/5!), so I saw the job on their website and just went for it! If you're interested in working here, keep an eye on the careers pages :) What's your favourite animal?

@canine - It is difficult, can't argue with that, and that's without even working on the frontline :-/ Everyone's really supportive though, so if anything does upset you or make you angry there's always a friendly face to turn to.

@Malmum - thanks for the welcome! I'll always do my best to help if ever you have any queries or want advice. I'm not an expert though, so I might not be able to answer everything, but will always try. If you ever have cruelty to report, your best bet is to call us on 0300 1234 999, as I might be unavailable/not on the forum at that time. Any non-urgent queries though, just shout!

@Spellweaver - interesting good, I hope?! :D

@tinamary - sadly we're often simply overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of animals in our care - and rest assured it's not a decision we ever take lightly. We've actually just (well, a couple of months back) a pledge to end the euthanasia of any rehomeable animal - take a look at our pledge page (and watch the video) - hopefully it will clear things up for you: Pledge 2 - Our five pledges - RSPCA in action I hope this helps - and do let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

19. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum. It will be interesting to see how this post pans out whether you have done this off your own back or whether it is a case of damage limitation.

Re your comment above: I think given the volume of bad publicity the RSPCA has attracted over recent years it will be difficult for members of the public to believe anything the RSPCA claim they will do when they have blatantly disregarded their own values and promises in the past.

Decisions made possibly at a higher level have damaged the reputation of the RSPCA whether that is beyond repair only time will tell.

20. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Gemma
    Not putting a rehomable dog to sleep what does that mean exactly.
    If a dog is not pretty or is bouncy around children it is not rehomable so they can be killed without come back. To me its simple what the RSPCA need to do.

DO NOT put healthy dogs to sleep, either get them retrained or fostered long term until they can be found homes.

Ballot parliament to bring back a licence system and Spend some of this money and money that the RSPCA do have on a spay programme so that ALL dogs are spayed free, this would dramatically reduce the number of animals to rehome.
    Make it compulsary to attend training classes essential to owning a dog. You would not be able to drive a car without a licence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice