Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello from the Isle of Wight

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CarrieH, Mar 25, 2011.

1. CarrieH

CarrieH PetForums Member

Hello, have just joined, so thought I'd introduce myself and my two dogs. I'm Carrie and I think the dogs are very lucky to live here on the Isle of Wight with me where they get to have lots of wonderful beach and countryside dogs.
    I nagged my parents for years before they finally allowed me to have a dog when I was 14, little did I know that I'd be in my thirties and still have that dog. She was a lovely little Sheltie called Tessa. Why did we get a Sheltie? Well, my parents said I was only having a small dog and we went with a Sheltie because one of the farmers we knew bred them. We had the pick of the litter and ended up with Tess because she was the first pup with enough confidence to come out from under the big welsh dresser in the farmhouse to say hello, so I guess really she picked us :)
    I still had Tess (well, she lived with my parents as it wouldn't have been fair for her to stay home alone whilst I was at work) when I got my second dog. He wasn't planned, I just happened to call in work one weekend at the same time as another colleague who had found a dog that morning whilst unlocking the country estate. I ended up looking after the dog for the night before a mix up at work meant that another colleague took him off to the dogs' home rather than the vets. That started a long 7 days whilst we waited to see if anyone claimed him. He wasn't claimed, but the dogs' home wouldn't release him as they said he was too ill with kennel cough, had to wait another 2 1/2 weeks to take him home. I had no idea what a sick dog I was taking on. My vet said he'd probably never had kennel cough, but did have pneumonia, sadly untreated for so long that he's been left with permanent severe damage to his airways. I was so glad he came with 30 days free insurance when he came out of the dogs' home because on that free insurance I made a claim for £1200:eek: I've had Ben for just over 6 years now. He's showing his age with arthritis and mild hip dysplascia as well as now being totally deaf and half blind. But he's still my very special boy.
    [​IMG]

Ben spent 2 1/2 years with me before one morning I was at work with the same work colleague who'd found Ben when we found another dog. This one was a real shocker, obviously a working Lurcher and when we first saw the dog we though it had a broken leg and it was so, so thin (the vet said they'd never seen such a thin dog still alive). I say it because the state the dog was in we didn't figure out that 'it' was a girl until we'd got her into a vehicle to rush to the vets. She didn't have a broken leg, but did have all the bones exposed from a wound that the vet said could only have been caused by a snare. The wound was a couple of weeks old when we found her. After a month at the vets a very thin and frail dog came home to live with us. Our fabulous vet tried so hard to save her leg, but the state she'd been in and the thin skin on lurchers always worked against us, so eventually she had her leg amputated and is one very happy little tripod. She's been a huge challenge though and could never have coped with her without the invaluable advice provided by all the people connected with Lurcher Link. I've had Dory for just over 4 years now and have got to know some wonderful Lurcher owners as a result of owning her. I've also got used to having longer walks due to the number of people who stop to ask about your dog whenever you're walking a tripod.
    Proof that tripods really can run, here comes Dory :)
    [​IMG]

2. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

Welcome to the wonderful world of PF ;)

3. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Hi and Welcome! We love the Isle of Wight. We usually come over at least 3 times a year - we were over in February and coming again in July. We stay at Chessell Pottery and love the walking - Henry, our working cocker spaniel always comes with us and we love walking the Tennyson Trail and up into Brighstone Forest, Firestone Copse and the walk from Seaview via Appley into Ryde.

We definitely want to live on the Island one day - it's my favourite place and I've been over ever since I was 8 years old (which was 35 years ago!!:D)

Claire

4. Heather78

Heather78 PetForums Senior

Hiya and welcome, another lovely post about rescuing a couple of poor souls. They are both gorgeous, lovely pics :)

5. CarrieH

CarrieH PetForums Member

Thanks for the welcomes. Claire, we know all the walks you've mentioned. Some of our favourites are Yarmouth to Freshwater, Yaverland and a number of the walks from Carisbrooke.
    First time we went to Brighstone Forest it was a lovely sunny day. Just as we parked up there was a sea fog coming in. Well, we set off on our walk and the thickest sea fog ever came rolling in. Strange walk in a forest we didn't know. The dogs might have been enjoying themselves, but oh boy was it a creepy walk. I was so glad to get back to the car and the irony was that we drove back home again in brilliant sunshine!

6. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Carrie - do you go up to Brighstone Forest via the track almost opposite Chessell Pottery?? I love the track right up the middle of the Forest which, when you turn right at the top, comes out onto the Downs overlooking Freshwater?

Can't wait to come over again in July - I also really like going to Jollyes Pet Store in Newport! Claire x

PS. Have you been to the Blacksmiths Arms on the Carisbrooke to Newport Road? Really dog-friendly pub with excellent food - they have 2 lovely golden retrievers walking around.

7. CarrieH

CarrieH PetForums Member

Haven't done the track from Chessell Pottery that you mention. That first time we'd parked on the carpark just before you get to Strawberry Lane. I like parking at Mottistone Manor and going up to the Longstone from there and then just generally mooching from there.
    We've said we should do the Blacksmith's Arms with the dogs, but have never got round to it. Have taken them from Carisbrooke over Chillerton to the Crown at Shorwell (including trying to have a picnic when it was blowing a gale on Chillerton Down :D ) and then back on the bus - we had more dogs than people on the bus, poor old bloke who was the only person on the bus when it stopped at the Crown looked rather bemused when we piled on with 7 dogs :D
    Right now I need to get Ben's arthritis sorted out, it's really flared up in the last couple of weeks, so we're on short walks and not managing tarmac at all right now.

8. henry

henry PetForums VIP

They are lovely dogs - lucky them living on the Island. Think Henry is looking forward to July already! Hope to chat again sometime, Claire

9. adam87

adam87 PetForums Member

welcome :)

10. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi & welcome :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice