UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :001_smile:

My name is Mike and I am new to this forum. A bit about myself. I am a massive animal lover. Have been since I was child. In my 31 years I have had 5 hamsters, 4 cats and 3 dogs. I regularly contribute to the RSPCA monthly, though I am thinking of maybe switching to the PDSA for a year.

At this moment in time I have 2 cats and 2 dogs. The cats came before the dogs. 1st cat was Alfie. We got him in May 2007 just after I had rhinoplasty surgery. He was going to be given to the RSPCA because the owner believed the old witchs tale that cats suffocate babies. He was 18 months old Tom British Shorthair and is a lovely Tabby. He was very nervous to begin with and we were told he hated outdoors, but we let him out into our 60ft back garden and he hasn't stopped ruling it since! He is quite the basher and is always in fights. We have lost count how many trips to vets we have had with him. We were sad to learn a year later when we saw the previous owners that they had catnapped him off the street and gave him to us!! They kept him indoors constant and never let him out. We thought long and hard whether to put out an advert in the event someone was missing him. We decided with all that he been through that we would keep him as he has a loving home. 2nd cat was Charlie. We got him at 8 weeks old for £60 and he is a Tom British Shorthair Black. We got him back in October 2008. And what the character!! Ambushing the family from the Christmas tree and through the rails at the top of the stairs! He once gave my mum a black eye by jabbing her through the rails!! He drove my missus to despair in his early days with the constant climbing up our backs as a kitten. He is so affectionate and soon he was going in neighbours houses!! They were understanding and loved the company he provides. This year sadly in August he suffered a horrible trauma. He came back one night in terrible pain and was crying. His tail was limp and wasn't moving. We rushed him to the vets the following day and they confirm that his tail had separated in half and that is was dead and needed to be amputated. The swelling was so big that they had to postpone the operation for a week. The weekend before the operation he took a massive turn for the worse and the dead cells from the tail had spread much quicker than they anticipated. The dead cells were attacking his vital organs slowly killing him, so we had to rush him in for the operation. The vets we use were stunning. The owner of the surgery even came in on her day off to help with the operation. He since made a recovery and is back to his cheeky self. I couldn't put into words the relief when the operation was done and was a success. We cried so much as he is our family.

In 2011 we got 2 dogs. :crazy:

First up we bought Maisie a female Westie. We got her in June as a pup. The owners were brilliant. Ones you would ask for. Cared for their family. Not interested in money and were superb. Came and saw our home. They kept a record of everything from the day the puppies were born. Gave us photos while we waited to collect her. We still keep in contact and they love the dog Maisie has become. She is very anti-social!! Always unsure of strangers. Always barks when the frontdoor goes. Barks at any noise outside the house. Always chasing the cats, though they chase her back and she panicks!! She is loving to my family.

A couple of months later we got Buddy. He is a male Bichon Frise. We rescued him from neglectful owner keen to cash in on him. He was a state. Malnurished, knotted, rife with fleas. We took him to our vets and had him checked over. He is so soppy. He loves people and other dogs. Does his little Bichon Dance to anyone. Whenever we pull up from work his head pops up by the front window and he barks. We love him to bits. However, I didn't love the fact he destroyed my lino flooring!! He has wrecked clothing and other items. Our fault for not putting them out of sight enough.

I think that is enough of an introduction and thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
Welcome to the forum, dear Mike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.