Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello from Glasgow

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by TimeSplitterChimp, Apr 14, 2011.

1. TimeSplitterChimp

TimeSplitterChimp PetForums Newbie

Hello guys my name is Craig, I am 22 and the reason I have joined this forum is because i am strongly considering getting a new puppy. My Dog "Tilly" passed away at the end of last year and It has felt so strange not having her around the house after 14 amazing years. I have a new baby on the way and she will be born in July so I am not going to get a puppy until around August time. I want my daughter to grow up with the dog and the dog with her, I would love to meet some great people on here and get into contact with some breeders near Glasgow or within travelling distance so I can prepare for getting the certain breed I would like.

Tilly was a cross between a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Lab. My dream dog has always been a Husky and i would LOVE a Husky but when I take into consideration I have a daughter on the way I have to think which dog will be best for her. These are my favourite breeds, the dogs I have loved my entire life.

Husky, Malmute, Akita, and Bernese. I have decided in my situation the Bernese Mountain dog is the perfect dog for me and hopefully if there are any Bernese breeders in Scotland I would love to start talking with you.

Sorry for this huge rant lol

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum. Sorry don't know any bernese breeders have you contacted the breed club they should be able to give you a list of good breeders. They're beautiful dogs I would love one but I couldn't cope with the lifespan

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

The only comment I would make about having a young pup bernese with a baby and later a todler is that its going to be a very large boisterous dog, even with a considerable lot of training. The only reason Ive mentioned it because some one on here recently had to make a heartbreaking decision to rehome their very young dog
    as it was so big and boisterous it was too much with a young child (it was either a bernese or a st. Bernard so that is one thing you would have to consider, not only the training alongside having a month old baby, but how big and boisterous its likely to be around an unsteady toddler when they start to become mobile.

Its not meant to be a critism, just an experience that recently happened to a member, who was totally heartbroken when it didnt work out.

4. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

Sorry I can't help you out, I've never had any experiance of babies and dogs. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice in the dog chat section.
    I just wanted to welcome you to the forum:)

5. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

sorry i cant help out welcome to pet fourm :)

6. shells

shells PetForums VIP

cant help but welcome to pf im sure u will get lots of help/info here

7. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, Welcome to the Forum, interesting Forum name I bet you end up being called TSC!, sorry I can't help but I'm sure someone on here will, we've got quite a few Scottish members so I expect one of them will be in touch with you!, we've got quite a busy Dog section and a very busy General section so you will always find someone on one of these sections to talk to, I've just looked through my local paper and someone is advertising a malamute 9 months old free to a good home!, get yourself onto the Forum and start posting. wayne.

8. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

welcome to pf :D

9. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

Hi craig, I'm a chow owner from Glasgow ;)

My recommendation to you would be to go to the SKC show in Ingleston in May, meet some breeders and talk to them, ask their advice. Size is an issue with small children, as is temprement, young Bernies are lively. My breedchows I personally wouldn;t recommend to folks with young children, for similar reasons, an accident can so easily happen. But the best info you can get is from those that live with them, so get yourself along ;)

10. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

Hello and welcome :D I have no advice to give but I am sure there will be others around who can point you in the right direction.

11. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to our mad forum, hope you enjoy your stay with us all. I love those breeds, have you seen one of our members dogs she breeds, Tanya (our mod) have Leonburges not sure if I have spelt that right, she have gorgeous dogs. Have fun xxxx

12. TimeSplitterChimp

Thank you all for the kind welcome, I will take all the advice as well and won't rush into any decision.

13. TimeSplitterChimp

Chows are absolutely stunning dogs, you are very lucky to own one (or many) =)

14. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome from a fellow sled dog lover/owner :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice