Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hello from a very tired new puppy owner :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by yorkiegal, May 31, 2010.

1. yorkiegal

yorkiegal PetForums Newbie

Hi there,
    I have a new ten week old boxer boy pup and a three year old male cat. My pup is named Baxter and my cat Chloe (we thought chloe was a girl when he was a kitten and the name stuck).
    I grew up in a boxer household but oh my is it different when you're training a puppy on your own. Chloe is in high dudgeon and has temporarily left home. He'll be back when he's hungry. He generally spends most of his time outdoors anyway.
    Baxter is adorable, but very willfull and I think perhaps he was the leader in his litter. He loves his toys but prefers my feet, books and the back of the sofa. I'm currently trying to get him to sleep in the kitchen on his own, which means I feel like a very mean mum listening to him whimper. But I know if I give in he'll never get used to it.
    My main reason for getting Baxter is that I live on my own and am unable to work due to long term mental health problems. I'm hoping that having a dog will help me get out more and be less isolated, and will also be good company. That's if he doesn't drive me bonkers in the next few weeks lol. He's an absolute gem and I love him to bits already. I just hope my neighbours are understanding of the barking these first few days.

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Welcome to the forum

3. leashedForLife

hey, gal! :--) welcome...

theres no reason to leave the pup to whimper in the kitchen - crating the puppy in the bedroom is actually a better idea,
    IMO as a trainer - since from now till at least 15-WO, U should be getting up at 3-AM every night to take him out to pee. ;)

with U right there, and pup crated beside the bed, U only have to set the alarm, and lay out some over-garments ahead -
    a robe + slippers or a coat + boots, whatever to go over the PJs,
    AND... some small but highly-tasty treats in the pocket to reward Pup on the spot, for right-place, right-time performance.

after the puppy is housetrained + feels more confident in their new home, U can move the pup out gradually, or leave him
    crated in the bedroom, or with a bed of their own on the bedroom-floor.
    its up to U - i prefer to have my dog(s) or clients dogs in my bedroom, in case of any emergency - we are all together,
    and i can gather everybody up + get outta Dodge, very quickly. :thumbup:
    besides, they alert me to anything odd going on... a prowler, etc - not by barking, but by their alertness.

if Pup is really distraught over being away from their mum + litter, DAP pump-spray can be very helpful - its a synthetic
    version of the pheromone produced by a lactating-bitch, and it is a CNS signal to reduce stress; BP, respiration, and
    salivary-cortisol among others, all signs of stress, DROP after exposure to *DAP*.

all my best,
    --- terry

4. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Hi & welcome to the pf :D Baxter sounds great will look forward to hearing how he grows Im sure he will make your life alot happier when he has stoped singing that is :rolleyes: Banjo did it for 2 nights then he was fine I think one of the cats used to get into bed with him to find the off button :lol:

5. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to PF :)

6. forgotten~myth

forgotten~myth PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome!:):)

7. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

My mate have a White Boxer, not blind and full hearing, goreous dogs. Her dog is massive and still growing.:scared:
    [​IMG]

8. yorkiegal

yorkiegal PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the welcomes. Baxter now sleeps in my bedroom, mostly on his own bed but occasionally on mine if he wakes up scared during the night. He's settled in really well and is using his training mats most of the time, and occasionally managing to go outside too, though I think he doesn't quite feel safe enough to use it for toilet yet and it only happens if he's really desperate. He pinched my cup of tea tonight and has eaten a few socks, but other than that he's been very good. Mind you he does have nearly the entire range of toys from the petshop to choose from.
    Neighbours I've never said more than a hello to have all been popping over to fuss him whenever we're in the garden. He's a very popular little dog and is confident and friendly with everyone. I never thought I'd fall in love with him so quickly.
    Sadly my cat has disappeared. It's been over a week now. I'm hoping he has lots of other places he goes to eat, which is farely likely has he never spent much time at home anyway. But I do feel very guilty about it and am keeping the window open on the offchance that he decides to come home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice