Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trebleclef, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Trebleclef

Trebleclef PetForums Newbie

My name is Gary and I live with my wife, my son and a 10 year old boxer dog called Harvey. We all love Harvey and he has always been a great dog, a handful at times, but nevertheless a great dog.

I have a big problem at the moment though. He has started barking randomly. It is worse through the night. Sometimes I have to sleep on the sofa to stop the barking. He has always been a hungry dog and I think he is barking for food but not certain. I am now desperate for help as I am completely sleep deprived. Can anyone help?

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Welcome Gary , Sorry to hear of your problem . I will ask a mod to move this to the Dog section so more people will see it.

Do you think he is barking for your attention or do you think he is hearing noises outside.

ETa you could start a new thread in the dog section and put Dog barking at night in the title to attact more attention.

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Personally I would get him checked over by your vet for any underlying medical conditions given his age. It could be the start of OCD (old dog dementia) which is always worse at night but your vet will be able to help.

Torin. and Happy Paws2 like this.
  4. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

It does sound a bit like dementia. Vet will definitely be able to put him on some meds for that. On the other hand, I suspected my dog was hungry, and swopped a very small amount of dinner raw meat for a slightly larger amount of low value crunchy biscuits and she is certainly better for it. Much less 'foody', better poo, and takes her longer to eat. Might be worth just adding in a bit of bulk right away and see what happens.

5. Trebleclef

Sorry for the late reply. I thought I would receive an email when I got a reply. Thanks for the info, I will move my post.

6. Trebleclef

I am scared of the vet suggesting he be put to sleep. That is my worst fear. I know it comes to us all in the end, but I think it is done without too much though these days.

7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

What about moving him in to sleep in your bedroom? (I am guessing when you sleep on the sofa, the barking stops?)

Anything for an easy life where sleep is concerned!

8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF others have said, it might be best to get him checked over by a vet just in case there's a under lying problem.

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

What makes you say that? There are several medications to help with dementia (if that is what it is and of course it may not be) but you won't know unless you see your vet.

10. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

The vet would only suggest euthanasia if you dog was properly poorly in which it would be the right course of action, Vets aren't evil beings wanting to rid the world of dogs they are there to help and advise.

Torin., Chatcat and tabelmabel like this.
  11. Trebleclef

I will take him to a vet to see what is suggested. It is heartbreaking to see your best friend get old.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice