Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello and Help!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kittysoo, Mar 10, 2008.

1. kittysoo

kittysoo PetForums Member

Hi All

My name is Mo and l have Seiger a 12y GSD and Schmoo a 6 and a half month Yorkie with a bit of Cairn and Scamper a 4 month old Jack Russell. I live with my husband (he's retired) in the most boring village on the planet (l call it the Twilight Zone). I am a bit reclusive so though l walk every day, l don't have people coming in and out of the house. I work part time as a receptionist and am quite a chatty person actually. Boith my children are grown up and have left home but we have them visit quite often.

OK here are my problems.

1/. My GSD will pull and bark at any dog we meet! Thats not often by the way as l can walk through the village and not meet a soul.

2/. My Yorkie is very shy of dogs and people and anything that rustles or catches him unawares. He has also started barking and lunging at anything.

3/. My Jack Russell has only been with us for 2 weeks. Prior to that he has only met the odd person and his litter mates - and only played out in the gardern for a couple of hours a day. He is scared to go on walks and runs away when ever l start to get ready for a walk. When l do get him to go out he is right at the back slowing my Yorkie down.

4/. My next door neighbour has started to get nasty as when the dogs hear anything when they are in the garden, they just encourage each other to keep barking.

5/. They have separation anxiety when we go out.

6/. I have 5 cats and all three dogs are fine with 3 of them. Two of my rescue cats have obviously been scared of dogs in the past and show it. Now the 2 little ones are starting to chase and bark aggressively at them. Its as if they know they are scared and act like bullies.I have baby gates all over the house to give the cats a chance to get away and to have the spare room as a sleep room when they are in.

7/. When family arrive they jump all over the place and bark. This happens when we come in after being out as well. We have done the ignoring bit but it seems not to work on my GSD and then he sets the others off.

Sorry this is so long - but l think l am in over my head here.

PS Prior to the pups coming along - l had Seiger and Lucy a GSD X who passed away last year aged 12.

I walk all three on Haltis and l have just spent over £40 on clickers, dvd and books from Crosskeys so would like help with clicker training as well!:::eek:

2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hello and welcome to the forum,,,wow,, you got afew things there that need sorting out,,, i hope you will get lots of advice and help form our members,,,put a post up in the dog section,, and hopefully someone will have some ideas,,,,,:):)

3. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Kitty, do you have pet insurance? If so, ask your vet to refer you to a professional behaviourist, who will take a complete history of your dogs before starting a programe with you.

From your post it sounds as though you need to restructure your pack and take control. This is not something that you can do overnight, and you may need some professional help.

4. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

Hi Kitty welcome to the forum, great place reading your hello , well it could be me right down to the most boring village there is, so will be looking at your replies hoping to get some help too.

5. Hi Kitty and welcome!

6. EllenJay

EllenJay PetForums Member

Hi Kittysoo and welcome.

7. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome :)

8. PatioDogDoors

PatioDogDoors PetForums Member

hi and welcome. i'll try to read it again if i have a free time and if i can help you i'll just post my opinion. as of now i'll just welcome you to the forum. don't worry there are lots of people here that might help you.

9. bordercolliepup

bordercolliepup PetForums Senior

Hello and welcome to the forum , pretty much have your hands full , hopefully you can get all the help you need :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice