Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello - and cat arthritis question!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shamykebab, Jul 15, 2009.

1. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Hi all!

Newbie to this forum so be gentle :D! I'm the (sometimes!) proud owner of 2 cats - Jazz (9 and a half) and Hobbes (8), both DSH moggies - and a young black Lab, Laika (19 months).

I've joined this forum to get some advice about Jazz's health. He was diagnosed with hip dysplasia early last year and since then has been on a daily dose of Metacam and a tablet of Seraquin (glucosamine). He has blood tests carried out every 3 months just to check if everything's in order, and everything was fine until his last test earlier this month when it was found his potassium/phosphate/phosphorus (can't remember which :eek:, will find out!) levels were low. He's booked in for another blood test next month to see if this level is consistent.

(If you're still reading, thank you!!!) I also noticed over the last week that his fur has started to come out in small clumps, still attached to his skin (!) so I started reading around on the web about low P levels, and I kept coming up with CRF (chronic renal failure), which is one of the side effects of Metacam!!

I am horrified! I don't know if I'm overreacting but I can't help but feel that over a year on a daily dose of Metacam has started to affect his kidneys. I was wondering if anyone else on this forum had any experience of long term use of Metacam for their cat? Any advise would be truly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sham

2. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D
    Sorry im unable to offer you advice with your problem but im sure someone will be along soon who can. :D

3. Inge

Inge PetForums Junior

Unfortunatly this is one of the sad sideeffects to Metacam...I had to say good bye to a feline friend last year due to HD, and it's horribly sad...but thinking of the life ahead of him, the decission wasn't so hard..

4. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome tom PF...hope you enjoy your stay...:D
    Sorry i cant help you..hopefully someone will come along..

5. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Thanks for the welcome! :)

After taking Metacam he's a different cat, but I've decided to cut way back on his medication and just give it to him as he needs it (but continuing with the Seraquin). He walks fine with no limp, it's just his jumping that's stopped (the local bird population is rejoicing). He manages to crawl up fences and is still very playful with string and scarves.

He's not an old cat, but I'd rather he have a good quality life than a long painful one.

Are there any alternatives to Metacam that can be used (e.g. homeopathic remedies)?

Sham

6. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum

7. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

welcome to you all...

8. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF xxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice