Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Hello All

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Susie70, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Susie70

Susie70 PetForums Newbie

I'm new to being a puppy owner I have a cockapoo. I've only had him a week but I'm already exhausted I feel like I consitantly entertain him! He's clearly very intelligent as the week I've had him I've managed to toilet train him to go outside still goes occasionally indoors but he goes on his puppy mat also crate training him it can be a bit hit and miss,sometimes he cries (who knew puppies could scream that loud) but he doesnt sleep very much as soon as i think hes asleep i go to get on with stuff and hes behind me i geel as though his lack of sleep is contributing to his bad behaviours. He bites and nips all the time and will bark and growl if told NO ....I know we can't go to puppy training till all his immunisations are done which is a few more weeks but I feel like he's now more in charge of me I suppose I had this idealistic view that I would have a lovely companion now my kids have left home who wouldn't judge me on how much wine I had drunk! Any advice on toys for him and all the nipping and biting would be greatly received.

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

hi and welcome

Susie70 likes this.
  3. AyeIt'sLiv

AyeIt'sLiv PetForums Junior

Welcome! So when puppies are little they play with each other they mouth each other which can sometimes lead to biting. When a puppy bites too hard the other puppy would yelp, and the puppy would release and learn that biting is wrong. Humans can imitate this when a puppy bites you don't pull away, go limp and either make a yelping noise or say ow! Ignore the puppy for a while and then play around again. I would suggest getting a mouthing toy :) or a rope tug thingy :) Hope this helped, and welcome again!

Susie70 likes this.
  4. Susie70

Susie70 PetForums Newbie

Thank you ,
    I've tried the ouch method he just ignores me and carries on also have a tug rope he's bored of that within two minutes have wondered whether his behaviour is worse as he never seems to sleep! He will look like he is sleeping but as soon as i leave the room he will be behind me have ordered him some more toys for chewing and something to challenge him, fingers crossed it helps!!

5. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums Member

Hello and welcome
    Just been through this with our puppy,it does get better,I got our puppy some reindeer horn from pets at home,keeps him quiet while I can get on with the housework

Susie70 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice