Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello All! Newbie Cat mum here :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mobykhan, Mar 29, 2011.

1. mobykhan

mobykhan PetForums Junior

Hello everyone! :)

I'm just introducing myself, my cat Jerry and her 3, 5 day old kittens :) (yet unnamed!) I've been hovering around the site for advice for awhile now and thought I would join! (Not that I feel I can advise on anything, i'll most likely be asking the questions for years to come! lol) I am very sorry for this being a long message, but it is just about how Jerry came into our lives about 7 months ago :001_smile:

Jerry was a stray cat who looked very thin (& only 8 months to a year old!) who we fed bits of tuna to to gain her trust. After a month or so she started to enter the house and made herself quite at home soon after! As it was coming onto winter at this time, we felt sorry for her and began to let her stay overnights when she wanted. At some point it just became apparent that she was going to be a long-term visitor and a keeper! I would feed her in the morning and go out for 4/5 hours only to return to find her snoozing exactly where I left her and ready for more food! At one point she didn't go out for a full week but then decided she was ready for a stroll... and didn't return for 4 days!!

Obviously I was worried sick, then on the night of the 4th day she was at the door peering through the bottom glass to let her in - and whif! All I could smell was cigarettes off her! (And I'm pretty sure she's a good girl.. hahaha). Anyway, as daft as it sounds, it didn't enter my little head (or my partners) that she might be someone elses pet! I was panicking! I thought about her being house trained and it should've been obvious! I just thought she wasn't in good condition when we found her and we just wanted her looked after. So off I scooted first thing to the vets for a health check and to check if she'd been microchipped. No she hadn't, so I explained what happend to the vet and she might have owners but she seemed to be in the regard that they haven't bothered to collar her, microchip her or even feed her properly when I found her; and as she's stayed with us so long (6 months, haven't those flown by??) she could be regarded as ours. However, she did suggest one of those collar tubes you can put a note in, so off I went to buy one and try it.

The gist of my message in the tube was that we have been looking after this cat and don't know if she belongs to anyone. We have taken her to the vets and she has no microchip. We are also moving at the end of the month and would like to take her with us. Please contact us ASAP if she is your cat. We gave our telephone numbers in the message.

So off Jerry went free as a bird (haha), checked the tube when she got back and the note was still in there. Same again next day - but the note had gone! :eek: No phone call though.. nor to my partners phone... Plus I would like to add Jerry does not approach anybody when we have seen her out, she is weary of people, so I very much doubt she would stand still enough to have a stranger take out the note!

Days went by and we decided (right or wrong) that we were going to keep her and try and give her the best home we could! So another trip to the vets for vaccinations, microchipping and to book an appointment for spaying her (which I very much was doubting would've been done!) Only to find out that I was correct & she was already 6/7 weeks pregnant!!

Now I know there are already many many cats needing homes in shelters but I just couldn't get myself to abort! I got to planning, nesting box, keeping her in, kitten food (gimmick food or not, i'm not risking it!) and a couple of weeks later, Friday 25th March - out popped 3 kittens over night while me and my partner were knocked out asleep! She was completely happy and all were alert and feeding well :001_smile: She's been a brilliant mum and at the end of it all, my partner says we should keep them all! (And I thought I was a soft touch!)

Sorry to bore the pants off you, but that's been our journey so far! Jerry and the kittens are in the album if you would like to see them :001_smile:

I will also be posting asking for advice on food and moving home, so I hope people can help! :001_smile:

Thank you for reading :001_smile: x

2. Heather78

Heather78 PetForums Senior

Hiya and welcome, Jerry is very pretty and looks like her babies are gonna follow er in the looks department :) :)

3. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

Hello and welcome :D

I have been in your position no fewer than 5 times :eek: Cats just seem to go to whoever and wherever they feel comfortable. Obviously you've done the right thing and tried everything to contact her original owners so I would be inclined to now claim her.

9 years ago I took in a mother and son. We still have Billy, sadly his mum Missy passed 4 years ago. They used to belong to a family a few doors down but they kept turning up on our doorstep all times of the day and night. The worst time was when I woke up one freezing cold winter morning, we'd had a heavy frost and the pair of them were curled up together in my flowerbeds - their owners obviously never bothered to put in a catflap or call them in last thing as night. We never used to feed them, but we used to let them in the house. Then someone informed the RSPCA that their 'real' owners weren't caring for them and the RSPCA did a visit to the area. They knocked on my door to see if I knew who owned them, when I pointed to the house across the road, the inspector said "yes that's who we were informed owned them, but we've knocked at that house and the woman claims she has no idea who owns them" Some people :yikes: just shouldn't be allowed to take up 'air space'. So from them on they moved in with us for real :D The RSPCA inspector said that was it and if the woman tried to claim them then they would step in and say the cats now belonged to us.

We moved about 4 years after that and both cats came with us no problems.

4. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

welcome to pf :D

5. mobykhan

mobykhan PetForums Junior

Thanks for the welcome guys! :D

We finally moved house and there's no internet (weird how we struggle to live without technology now!) Jerry settled in well and the kittens just slept through the whole drama as usual!

And yes it's so weird that they ALL have the exact same markings as mum, i was really expecting a mixture of colours!

Thanks again :) xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice