Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hello again

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by matty198111, May 1, 2011.

1. matty198111

matty198111 PetForums Member

well ive not been on here since my cat had matted hair lol

but thought i would start using the forum as we now have a labrodor.
    we got him from a family who couldnt be bothered with him and tbh he was not a well behaved dog.
    we had to give the idiots £350 for him which was alot as there is a breeder up the road who sells puppy's for 300-£350, but we really wanted to give him a good home as im sure anyone would.

he was bad with other animals bad with people and an absolute nightmare to walk.
    he's 5 years old tomorrow and we have had him for 3 months

in that 3 months we have managed to calm him down and get his body weight back to normal.
    he now lives with us ( 2 adults 3 kids ) our 2 cats and he really is a nice friendly dog and you can see it in his face that he loves the kids, i think he was waiting for someone to love him back.
    also now when im walking him he stays by my side and the lead is usually slack so he has come on brilliant and im very proud.

the one thing i dont know how to do is to train him to be ok of the lead cause i would love to take him some where and play fetch, but i know if i take him of the lead now he will just run and im worried incase he doesnt come back.

is there any good vids or guides on the net that i can follow and then hopefully take my dog of the lead with confidence.

so far it has been a long road to get him to where he is now but it has been worth every mile of walking and every minute of stress, as the family feel we now have a new member

thanks for reading

mat

2. vicki.burns

vicki.burns PetForums Senior

That's such a lovely thing to do and sounds like such hard work, but all worth it in the end.

We only have a 17 week old pup but pretty much in the same position as you with the recall as I'm sure they'd both run off as soon as you took the lead off.

What we're currently doing is taking him to the park and using a long line so we still have control over him but he thinks he's free!!! So a case of let him run around like a bit of a looney then call him back but you know at the end of the day if he doesn't come back when you call, he's not gone as you've still got him attached to you with the long line.

You can get the long lines in loads of lengths almost anywhere, we got ours (30ft) off ebay (£4.99 + £1.80pp)

TRAINING LEAD / LINE 30FT LONG in BLUE MEDIUM-SMALL | eBay UK

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I would probably start just around the house and garden using your recall word; if you have one at present that he ignores I would introduce a new one. Keep tasty treats or a toy just for playing with when practicing recall. Call him to you lots of times randomly, praising and treating when he comes to you. You can play a game where the whole family has treats and you can take it in turns to call him, making it into a game.

Once you are happy, progress to environments with higher distraction and do the same. As the running off is ingrained I would use a long line as suggested above - if he ignores your recall gently reel him back to you.

Don't set him up to fail as you want the highest success rate possible - for instance if he is smelling something really interesting he will most likely ignore you so don't try and recall whereas if he was running in your direction anyway he will find it much easier.

Always make yourself much more exciting that whatever else is around...even if you look like a complete dafty waving your arms about, making high pitched noises and dancing about.

Sounds as if you have done a great job so far :).

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

The long lines are great until they have reliable recall, and for training recall.

The way to train recall is to have a treat of very high value, preferably that you only ever use for recall so it remains extra-special. I use primula squeezy cheese but you can use any food or toy that your dog really loves. You want to practice doing the recall cue (I use 'Kenzie Come' in a high voice) and treating when he comes. Do this in the house with no distractions and then progress to outside.

The key is not to put the dog back on the leash or stop the play every time they come back to you, or they learn that recalling means the end of fun. So sometimes you will treat and send them straight back off to play, sometimes you will play a game when they come, sometimes you might put them back on the lead or do some training.

When I'm out, as well as my super-high value treat, I also have another high value treat (usually tiny bits of cheese or chicken) and I give these to her randomly when she 'checks in' with me by coming close, making eye contact etc). That way she learns to stay close because she just might get some food out of it. You can also do things like hiding from your dog to encourage them to keep an eye on where you are.

It's hard work and constant training but you'll get there in the end.

I'm sure I've probably forgotten something important so hopefully someone else will be along soon with some more ideas :)

5. matty198111

thanks for all the above advice guys im going to try the long lead approach and hopefully we can make some progress.

we took him to the vets as soon as we got him for a check up, they said he was dehydrated, under weight ( he was only about 18 kg ) running in fleas so much so he had sores all over him and big patches of fur missing where he kept biting himself.

but we took him on friday morning for another check up just to see if we were doing right and the vet was shocked at how different he was.

teeth were good, body weight upto 26.7 kg she said he got a lovely coat and she was happy that he didnt keep growling at her he just sat there and let her poke and prod him lol.

one thing i forgot to ask was how many miles a day walking would be ok for him, as i said when we first got him he was really unfit i dont think he had ever been walked, so i started walkin him twice a day for about a mile each time, he used to come in and sleep for ages after but now im taking him twice a day for about 3.5 - 4 miles each time but i was wandering if that is enough obviously i dont want to under do it and also dont want to over do it.

i usually do alot of research before buying an animal and never had a dog before but as im sure you understand i just felt the dog shouldnt wait any longer for a "proper" home so as a result im kinda learning on my feet.

i really appreciate all the help and advice an i know archie will do to

mat

6. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

Sounds like Archie finally has someone who cares about him and will take care of him properly.

Have you any pics of your gorgeous guy?

Well done on taking him on :D

7. matty198111

i do have some pics that i will put up once my wife is home as im useless wit the machines, i only have to look at them and they usually start smoking and making funny noises, but will get some on soon

8. matty198111

well apparently my 7 year old daughter is more tech savvy than i am and she has got the pics on the computer

so here is our lovely dog Archie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry quality isnt great i had to take them on my phone. u can see on the back of the sofe where he used to bite and scratch everything but i think he hsa stopped this now so time for a new one lol

mat

mat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice