Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hello! a little advice needed please :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Charliebird, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Charliebird

Charliebird PetForums Newbie

Hi i'm Charlie, i have a 9wk old chocolate lab girl called Brandy who is lovely and doing pretty well on the potty training front, however her night time habits are somewhat problematic! We feed her about 2hrs before bed time, let her out just before we go up and then put her in her crate for the night, she whines a little to start with but soon settles down... usually about 2 hrs after we've gone to bed she whines and barks to be let out for a wee, i do this then back up to bed, however this happens approxiamately every 1-2hrs! clearly this is a cry for attention and comfort but is driving us mad with lack of sleep! any ideas or advice would be hugely appreciated?! :)

2. iceman

iceman PetForums Junior

Hi Charlie, it seems you have a sweet little pup wrapped round your little finger! I have had the same problem with many pups before,i know its hard but you just have to block it out & ignore the cries, after that if she still doing it just tell her off, she has to know who is the boss.
    Good luck with your pup :smile:

3. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

I am now just getting a nights unbroken sleep. Tilly is sleeping right through and she is 5 months. I am not a crate person and tilly sleeps by my side of the bed.
    I was getting up 3 or 4 times in the night at nine weeks old. I think a puppy needs reasurance that you are there, as the feeling of being alone is awful at any age. Don't forget that they grow up fast and I feel that nine weeks is still very young to expect to be left alone all night.
    If you have a partner could you not alternate the getting up. It won't be forever. The time between waking up will get less and less.

4. Charliebird

Charliebird PetForums Newbie

thankyou, she is improving alot and is now just getting up once or twice which is fine, i have tried leaving her as i dont want her to think that whining and crying will get her way but i do have a 3 yr old and a hard working fella to consider... and yes she absolutely does have us wrapped around her paws lol! she is no longer in a crate and is now confined to the kitchen instead as this is the room she likes the most... obvious reasons i suspect! :D

5. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Hi and welcome to PF Charlie. I have a choc lab too, Sammy is 3 months now. I was also getting up 2 or 3 times during the night for the first wee while. He goes undisturbed all night now which I am really pleased with.

You say you are feeding her 2 hours before bed...what time is this at and how many times a day do you feed her? We cut Sammy's feeds down to 3 pretty quickly and brought his last feed back to 6pm at the latest. When we were feeding him about 8/9, he was still needing toilet thru the night.

HTH and enjoy the forums, the people on here are great :D X

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

My daughter had a puppy who used to do this all the time......She would feed her last feed about 7pm then take her outside for pee, then when she was ready for bed she would put the puppy out again for pee then put her straight into her crate and walk away saying good boy/girl, then in the morning first thing let the puppy out straight away and then give lots and lots of praises and cuddles. If you keep going back and forth to the puppy they will get used to you coming to them and will keep doing it. As long as you give plenty of praises in the morning after he/she have done peeing, they will get used to it and settle down very quickly. After all the puppy is still a baby and have not long been taken from it mother so will feel a bit lonely for a while. Another suggestion....put the radio on low so it feels like it have company. It worked with my daughters puppy. good luck.

7. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice